Why become a member? ×

Opinions on a trade? Warwick 2006 4 string thumb for Spector Euro 5 LX

Jamison

I paid a small fortune for my Spector Euro Fade Black LT 3 years ago. Out of all my basses i play it the least due to its fat neck but it sits in the mix with a band better than most of my other basses so there is some serious love there. I am however selling it for £1800 at the moment. 

I was offered a Warwick Thumb 4 string limited edition 2006 as a trade and am very tempted as I have moved more towards the low end Warwick tone the last few years despite loving both brands for various reasons. 

I am on the fence. Warwick resale values seem awful and my luthier often complains about old Wicks having twisted necks .. also the Euro LT has a better resale value. I cannot however overlook the fact that as a p bass lover and warwick lover that this offer may be something I should reconsider.. 

Any one have any experience with the 2006? Thanks all

Is it one of these? 

https://reverb.com/item/13195871-warwick-thumb-bass-limited-edition-dirty-blonde-2006

Some things for consideration here:

- The Dirty Blonde, while cool, has none of the traditional Warwick woods or pickup config. It's got its own thing going on. The MEC splitcoil sounds nothing like a P Bass, it's much more polite, clean and hifi. I have one in a Streamer LX. I Iike it, but I wouldn't expect Fendery tones. As with EMG's, there is no true passive option either but just an EQ bypass;

- The Thumb won't necessarily have a thinner neck than your Spector. I have two ovangkol necked Streamers from roughly the same era and they're chunky. This one's maple, not sure if these have a different profile;

- The ergonomics of the Thumb aren't for everyone. That short and stubby top horn means the first fret requires a bit of a stretch when on a strap. Also potentially prone to neckdive because of this;

- Resale value of used Warwicks is all over the place. It's hard to pinpoint a value here because it's a limited edition, but when comparing a regular Thumb bolt-on I'd say your Spector is in another league and worth more. For comparison: I paid €500 for my lefty 2001 Streamer LX less than two years ago. 

If it's in your area and looks tempting I would definitely give it a try though, and consider making an offer after selling the Spector. But not for £1800. 

• Like 1