Why become a member? ×

Practice Routine

Tim2291

I don't practice I only learn songs.

If learning new songs I will sit and listen - mostly with tab in front of me which may or may not be correct.  In most cases it will be mostly right and I'll try to work out the notes that are missing (without  a bass in hand).   For me the most important aspect of learning a song is internalising the parts and structure and this is the key stage.   I suppose it's ear training as well.  Sometimes where the tab is so obviously wrong I'll try to tab it myself by ear.

Then I'll try to play the song which might involve figuring out the fingering deciding whether to use a pick or fingers, changing the notes I thought were right. 

If I'm learning scales or modes I will only do it on guitar cos I might as well have the whole fretboard figured out and just forget about the top two strings when I go to bass but to be honest I don't do that very often.  I'll sometimes come up with a song idea and have to work out what key/mode it's in and I think I've only ever consciously sat down and though "I will use ionion for this section and locrian for that" when I was looking for a specific feel. 

• Like 1

I’m still working very slowly through Scott’s technique course and I’m doing a selection of the exercises from the lessons I’ve watched so far, then playing with a couple of jazz tunes on iReal.

Biggest problem (hence the ‘very slowly’ above) is making sure the practice actually happens rather than continually putting it off because there’s something else to do, until the something else to do is that it’s time to go to bed 😕

Oh, kit: Zoom B1 Four, into a little Spirit mixer and headphones. Using the mixer is quieter than running line out from the computer into the Zoom’s aux in and gives me pan controls so I can separate my bass from Scott’s when playing along to a lesson, for example. 

Edited by nekomatic
kit

My practice has always been all or nothing.

Nothing as in just picking up the bass a couple of times a week to keep my hand in to all which is very structured & consistent (at least once a day most days) & with intent & purpose.

There's a book on my bookshelf called The Musicians Way, (ashamedly I forget the author) & it's been invaluable for the times when I'm highly motivated to improve & need that structured practice. There's a website too.

I get the biggest gains (& satisfaction) when I have intent & a solid plan before I pick up the bass.

I spent years just noodling & as much as it was fun the time could've been spent better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

My practice has always been all or nothing.

Nothing as in just picking up the bass a couple of times a week to keep my hand in to all which is very structured & consistent (at least once a day most days) & with intent & purpose.

There's a book on my bookshelf called The Musicians Way, (ashamedly I forget the author) & it's been invaluable for the times when I'm highly motivated to improve & need that structured practice. There's a website too.

I get the biggest gains (& satisfaction) when I have intent & a solid plan before I pick up the bass.

I spent years just noodling & as much as it was fun the time could've been spent better.

Setting a plan in place for what you want to run through is a great idea! I also have a spotify playlist of tracks that I want to learn so if i'm running short on inspiration during practice I can always turn to that! Great for ear training :D

• Like 2

I have wasted a lot of time aimlesly noodling and mucking about with effects, I suppose it is fun/relaxing and there is some benefit but I now try to always play along to metronome/drum beat/the original tune as being able to keep time/groove is essential for playing with a band - more than how fast notes can be played, fine-tuned fuzz tones, slap skills, or knowledge of modes.

If I can be bothered with a proper structured practice routine (which is rare) then it is this:

1. Rhythm/timing: Playing single notes to a metronome, gradually slowing the metronome right down and trying to still hit the note exactly on time. Change to 1/8ths 1/16ths etc. I usually just do this in 4/4 as that's 99% of the music I listen to but I do also try other time signatures like 3/4.
  2. Fretboard/notes: Doing as above to a metronome/drum beat but randomly changing notes/finding them all over the fretboard e.g. G# for 4 notes, then the same note on other strings for 4 notes each, then swich note. Trying to get to the point that it is second nature to know exactly where every note is on the fretboard without really thinking at all.
  3. Chord tones/Modes: As above but incorporate scales/chord tones, go through the different modes and switching between the differnt playing patterns (e.g. G minor all along one string, then just two strings etc. then root 3rd 5th etc.). Still always focussing on this being in time - to a metronome or drum beat, and changing the speed and time signature around.

A big focus on timing really. Like this guy says, there are plenty of very well known decent bass lines that are almost entirely reliant on timing/groove, some just using a couple of notes. If you can play in time, instinctively know where the root notes are, and know how to add the correct chord tone notes then that covers the vast majority of basslines needed for bands :

As it's all about playing along to stuff I play through a Zoom B1 Four (for the drum machine & metronome), or into an MPC One (drum machine), or into DJ mixer (to mix with backing tracks via phone, laptop, vinyl, with their bass reduced). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

I have been watching a couple of Lukes videos including the one above and will put some of his suggestions into my practice routine.

Yeah, he is good at simplifying things. His Motown one is good too.

The '4 types of basslines' video really demonstrated to me that it doesn't need to be too complicated for the vast majority of Bass playing in bands, but timing/groove is key (as well as knowing where the notes/chord tones are!). I wish I had always practiced to a metronome/beat as even just noodling is better practice if it is noodling in time. 

If a single note played in 8ths (with good timing and tone and 'bounce', which is easier said than done) is good enough for Larry Graham on a tune as popular as 'Everyday People' then it is certainly good enough for me to practice!