Why become a member? ×

nice amp shootout - no DI

mario_buoninfante

Hi,

I found this on YT and quite liked it.

They compare several famous bass amps, playing different styles and basses, reamping, and recording the actual cabinet, no DI (this I found particularly good).

No Ampeg and GK and other big names, but still quite good.

I saw they used the EQ in various situations and that surely affected the results, but overall I think it's a good video.

Personally, I was impressed by the Little Mark III by Mark Bass. It has personality but seems to stay true to the instrument.

Aguilar pretty good too, but a bit too clinical.

Surprised by Hartke too, that for whatever reason I never considered.

PJB is a bit of a weird one. To me it always sounds like is lacking the "low lows" (maybe speaker size matters afterall ;) ).

Eden, well it colours the sound quite a bit, but I love that 90-00s scooped sound though :)

Interested in hearing other opinions, especially if anybody has one of those amps.

Edited by mario_buoninfante

Interesting. I preferred different rigs according to the instrument/style of playing. I thought the most versatile - the ones that worked with everything (although were not necessarily best at any particular thing) - were the Proamp and Eden. I don't know how meaningful the comparisons were, given that the amps were eq'd differently in different clips as you point out. It looks as if they set each one up to give of its best for each sample, which is fair enough.

All goes to show that there is no "best" and that variety is the spice of life.

• Like 2

I think what was remarkable is how similar they sound, I got to the Eden before anything stood out with the Jazz and even then it wasn't startling.  I suppose it is possible that the bassist was allowed to set them up for his/her sound and if so frankly he was pretty good at getting it. Imagining this with a full band I suspect it would be quite hard to identify most of them. I'd gig happily with any of them (if someone else offered to carry them).

If I had to choose it would be the Eden, though like Dan I liked the Proamp and he's spot on about the style of playing. I also have a soft spot for the Hartke.

• Like 1