Why become a member? ×

Moving to Macs for video editing

Dankology

17 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Whats the format of your HD?

Whats your monitor?

The HD is now being recognized after a restart... Although from what I've read, I won't be able to *write* to it (as is NFTS formatted) - although I'm sure I can work around that.

The monitor is a Grundig which I've connected to via its HDMI port. I've found that I can get a fullscreen view by plugging into the living room TV - not ideal but might see me through until I can find a proper monitor (which itself seems like a potential minefield in terms of compatibility). 

16 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Wow - the interface was released in 2004! I'm amazed it still works with your Windows PCs at that age. 

2007, actually 😎 But it's rock solid and in several ways still outperforms the ubiquitous Focusrite desktop interfaces. I guess it'll just have to be for the PC now. Not sure what to buy now though - much Ebaying to come, no doubt.

7 minutes ago, Dankology said:

The HD is now being recognized after a restart... Although from what I've read, I won't be able to *write* to it (as is NFTS formatted) - although I'm sure I can work around that.

If there is enough space on the new machine, just copy it out, reformat it and put the files back. you are right, it doesn't write to NTFS, that is a microsoft propriatary licensed format.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If there is enough space on the new machine, just copy it out, reformat it and put the files back. you are right, it doesn't write to NTFS, that is a microsoft propriatary licensed format.

Will I then face the same problem when wanting to use it with a PC though?

6 minutes ago, Dankology said:

Will I then face the same problem when wanting to use it with a PC though?

Yes

2 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

For best performance on the Mac you should format the disk as APFS which Windows PCs can’t read, but if you do want to use the same disk on both types then you can use ExFAT format. 

Indeed - an ExFat drive will work on both machines, and is the best way to get compatibility between them for very little trade off (that matters on a removable drive)

• Thanks 1

On 31/10/2022 at 10:48, Jakester said:

I've just gone from a 2012 MBP i7 w 16GB to a new 14" MBP M1 Pro and it's night and day. 

What would take the 2012 3 - 4 hours to render is done in minutes, if not seconds. 

I went for the 14" over the newer 13" M2 as it performed better in testing, but if it's only for occasional stuff you could get away with the new/a refurb Air, which is pretty much on a part with the  2022 13" MBP performance wise. 

I just went from a 2012 MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Air - I did a post last week about it.

I’m using it for music production.  As you say, the difference is night and day. Woosh and it’s done.

• 3 months later...

Hey there! Moving to an Apple-based system for your video editing needs can be a great decision. If you're on a budget and looking for a secondhand or reconditioned system, you might want to consider looking for a Mac desktop or laptop that has a powerful processor and a good amount of RAM to handle the high bitrates from your cameras. As for editing software, you might want to check out Final Cut Pro or iMovie, which are both popular video editing tools for Mac users. Additionally, if you need to compress your video files, you can try out movavi.com's online video compressor https://www.movavi.com/video-compressor-online.html, which can help reduce the size of your video files without sacrificing quality. Good luck with your search, and I hope you find the right system and software for your needs!

Edited by KizaruMars