Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM owners

BassAdder60

Thought I would start a post in praise of the Ashdown CTM range of tube amps 

Interested in favourite settings and if you gig it and which cabs etc ? 

Here’s mine and it’s the best sounding amp I’ve ever played and impressive how loud 100w can go in a band situation 426884F9-B294-45A5-A522-CFDEB4B3BBC8.thumb.jpeg.f4fd523c757015ec8473795b14665c19.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, goonerjoe said:

I had a CTM100. Although I don't regret selling it (didn't use it enough), it's by far and away the best amp I've ever owned.

I played it through an Ampeg 410 with the settings flat and all the buttons pushed in. Heaven.

Did you gig with it ? Did you lack any volume? 

5 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Thought I would start a post in praise of the Ashdown CTM range of tube amps 

Interested in favourite settings and if you gig it and which cabs etc ? 

Here’s mine and it’s the best sounding amp I’ve ever played and impressive how loud 100w can go in a band situation 426884F9-B294-45A5-A522-CFDEB4B3BBC8.thumb.jpeg.f4fd523c757015ec8473795b14665c19.jpeg

Cool, that's the new version. Is it still passive eq?

I had the original CTM 100. The eq was useless but luckily it didn't need it as it sounded brilliant. Definitely loud enough to gig in a rock band using an ABM15 or a Barefaced Four10.

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Cool, that's the new version. Is it still passive eq?

I had the original CTM 100. The eq was useless but luckily it didn't need it as it sounded brilliant. Definitely loud enough to gig in a rock band using an ABM15 or a Barefaced Four10.

Same EQ but using the various switches I find the EQ controls ok

I prefer to run my master on full and gain control for overall volume 

• Like 1

I did some RTA on my CTM-300 as the EQ is very interactive:

1510971141_Amp1.jpg.5137c3231d12a5eb83cb

This setting was Bass 50%, Mids 75%, Treble 100%, Mellow in, Bass out, Mid in Treble in.
1164065212_B50M75T100inoutinin.jpg.281c4 

As for Gain and Master volume gain at 30% and Master at 50% was good for rehearsals. At home it's more like 10% on both 😆

• Like 2

I find if you put all the tone shift buttons in Mellow, Deep, Shift, Bright it makes it louder ! 

At the moment I prefer Deep in Shift in, bright and mellow out 

I play with a pick so that EQ seems to balance about right 

Bass on 3 o clock , mids 12 o clock and treble on 9 o clock 

Might try all buttons in and all tone knobs at 12 o clock to see what that sounds like 

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Apparently the correct way is to max out the master volume and adjust the gain control for overall volume 

This was the advice from the guy who designed it 👍

I'm sure he's right. But that's the way I got mine to sound how I like it 

• Like 1

Love my CTM 300 but it is usually overkill for what I'm playing these days (although so are my other amps, but they are less heavy!)

It sounds great through my ABM 610 or ABM 810, and I often also got for Master all the way up then adjust the volume with the Gain control. Settings wise, I can make little tweaks to suit the room or what the other members need, but I always keep the Mid-shift engaged to get the overall tone that made me fall in love with these amps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BruceBass3901 said:

Love my CTM 300 but it is usually overkill for what I'm playing these days (although so are my other amps, but they are less heavy!)

It sounds great through my ABM 610 or ABM 810, and I often also got for Master all the way up then adjust the volume with the Gain control. Settings wise, I can make little tweaks to suit the room or what the other members need, but I always keep the Mid-shift engaged to get the overall tone that made me fall in love with these amps.

Yes I’m tempted to get a 610 cab !

11 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Yes I’m tempted to get a 610 cab !

I'm going back to using my ABM 610 rather than my ABM NEO 210, as the latter is misbehaving a little bit and needs some TLC. I got the 610 as it is was easy to move as the 810, due to wheels, but not as tall, and therefore an easier cab to fit into my estate car. Really like the 610, even if mine is a very old version that is MDF rather than plywood.

• Like 1