Why become a member? ×

power amp and preamp pedal

mario_buoninfante

• 3 weeks later...

I've played the last couple of gigs with:

HX Stomp- Gss Baby Sumo- barefaced BT2.

Great tones, huge sounds, oodles of volume with headroom to spare. I recommend. Basically using the sumo and BT2 as a frfr (or near to) amplifier, and then what I hear coming out of that is what's being sent front of house also. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AScheck9 said:

I've played the last couple of gigs with:

HX Stomp- Gss Baby Sumo- barefaced BT2.

Great tones, huge sounds, oodles of volume with headroom to spare. I recommend. Basically using the sumo and BT2 as a frfr (or near to) amplifier, and then what I hear coming out of that is what's being sent front of house also. 

My favourite rig ever was a rack helix into (one, sometimes two) FR800, which is essentially a BB2 with an inbuilt power amp. Your rig must sound similarly immense. Keep a hold of it! :)

Of course, the helix (including the stomp) have the option for line level, balanced output, making them slightly more appropriate for this than most pedal preamps which tend to have a choice of either balanced/mic level or unbalanced/instrument, neither of which are ideal for a proper pa power amp, although both can work just fine.

• Like 2

I’ve been using my microbass 3 into my QSC RMX850a  but only at house volumes so far. Won’t  get to put it through it’s paces properly until the new year. So far so good. Seems to be supplying the power amp with enough signal. I’m unsure of any other test I can do other than comparing it with my channel strip which seems to have a slightly higher output before clipping.

sounds ace

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 06:35, NancyJohnson said:

I try to read some of the more technical posts here and it's like I just go word blind; I'm not saying this data isn't useful in some capacity to some people, but by and large surely, given the amount of Poweramps and stomps out there, a lot of this is no use to anyone?

As previously posted, I ran (several) rack set ups for 30+ years.  Not once have I suffered from anything not working or under performing.  Not once did I refer to the manual of any unit to read up on input sensitivity (or anything). The only thing I didn't do 'properly' was to always have the poweramp outputting at 100% and controlling the output volume off the pedals/rack kit.  

Maybe I was just lucky.  

Same here. I ran a few different rack Pre's with a QSC PLX 2402 without issues - damn loud and powerful actually! Never used it bridged. 

Don't have those Pre-amps anymore but used an Ashdown RPM, SWR Grand Prix and a gorgeous Aguilar DB680

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I have a Crown xls power amp with selectable input sensitivity. I regularly use it with my Avalon U5 preamp. Sounds great.

Adjustable input sensitivity isn't going to matter with the Avalon, it's MOL is +30dBu which will drive every power amp I have ever seen with loads of headroom to spare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Adjustable input sensitivity isn't going to matter with the Avalon, it's MOL is +30dBu which will drive every power amp I have ever seen with loads of headroom to spare.

And it does it brilliantly! Sounds great with any amp I’ve tried it with. 
Quality piece of kit.

• Like 2