Why become a member? ×

Top three attributes of a drummer - your opinion?

Mickeyboro

23 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

If it's a choice between a drummer who plays forward of the beat, or a drummer that drags, I'd take the forward every time. Dragging is a groove killer.

I'm currently in a band with a drummer that drags like crazy, sadly of the two bands I'm in it's the one with the most gigs; isn't that always the way?

He often trots out the phrase 'serve the song'...in reality that means the first 8 bars of every song he's figuring out what to play, then I'm shackled to whatever he does for the next three minutes, akin to jogging with a rucksack full of house bricks. And these are paying pub/ club gigs I should add. In rehearsals there's lots of the dog ate my homework / why is everyone being so nasty excuses. From a man in his 50s.

I can't convey how exhausting it is to carry every tune and how if it's a precise iconic bass part there's the responsibility of driving the band as well as playing your own part. I've derived great solace from this thread, my addition would be 'To respect the dance floor'.

I think I need to get my backside into gear and find a better gig.

On 23/10/2022 at 12:02, Grimalkin said:

The ability to swing.

"You can be as clever as you like but if it don't swing, forget it."

Danny Thompson.

I've played with technicians and I've played with musicians... 

Glad I'm not alone in this one - I know we've all griped about playing with "shed-builders" in the past, but I've also lost count of the numbers of drummers I've met at jam nights, etc who think "relax; let it swing a bit" means "please play this next one as a lumpy, cack-handed shuffle."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The fasting showman said:

I'm currently in a band with a drummer that drags like crazy, sadly of the two bands I'm in it's the one with the most gigs; isn't that always the way?

He often trots out the phrase 'serve the song'...in reality that means the first 8 bars of every song he's figuring out what to play, then I'm shackled to whatever he does for the next three minutes, akin to jogging with a rucksack full of house bricks. And these are paying pub/ club gigs I should add. In rehearsals there's lots of the dog ate my homework / why is everyone being so nasty excuses. From a man in his 50s.

I can't convey how exhausting it is to carry every tune and how if it's a precise iconic bass part there's the responsibility of driving the band as well as playing your own part. I've derived great solace from this thread, my addition would be 'To respect the dance floor'.

I think I need to get my backside into gear and find a better gig.

No possibility of edging him out guess? I know the feeling, it sucks the joy out of it, for all concerned. Lumpen.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Glad I'm not alone in this one - I know we've all griped about playing with "shed-builders" in the past, but I've also lost count of the numbers of drummers I've met at jam nights, etc who think "relax; let it swing a bit" means "please play this next one as a lumpy, cack-handed shuffle."

I'd rather think of myself as a musician that happens to play bass than a bassist. I listen to it all, melodies, drum parts, chord progressions and whatever else. Denoting yourself as a bassist sort of boxes you in IMO, people assume that you only listen to basscentric stuff.

Drummers the same, I've worked with technicians and I've worked with musicians.. The musicians are looking at the whole picture. Not just concentrating on their bits...

1)Restraint - drummers tend to always overplay it, fills and shuffles anywhere and everywhere. Having self

control to keep it simple or

Play it straight comes with experience, eventually.

2) turning up ahead of soundcheck or rehearsal time to set up , having some degree of or sense of urgency I. Setting up too, and not doing it like a stoned sloth on its day off.

3) playing the same thing they played last time. 
I swear our drummer just busks it every time?  (And yes, you can tell…)

they’re all batshit crazy. Never met one that isn’t.

Edited by Wonky2

5 hours ago, Wonky2 said:

1)Restraint - drummers tend to always overplay it, fills and shuffles anywhere and everywhere. Having self

control to keep it simple or

Play it straight comes with experience, eventually.

2) turning up ahead of soundcheck or rehearsal time to set up , having some degree of or sense of urgency I. Setting up too, and not doing it like a stoned sloth on its day off.

3) playing the same thing they played last time. 
I swear our drummer just busks it every time?  (And yes, you can tell…)

they’re all batshit crazy. Never met one that isn’t.

Do you think that is because most go into it thinking it is a short cut into playing an instrument when it isn't. Anything but.