Why become a member? ×

Bench, erm, things

Si600

Those of you with functional long term memory will recall the making of a new bench leg with vice. Due to the final expiration of our nearly 50 year old central heating over the summer and a move to gas rather than oil, just in time for a certain swivel eyed loony to invade his neighbour and punt the gas price up, which meant the removal of the 5000 litre oil tank.

Which in turn means that I have an extra 8.5 sqm of workshop space! Joy!

So here is wot I hav bin doing.

DQ2VWMD.jpeg

5FlLcWx.jpeg

Pulled the old bench apart and used the "good" leg from it as a part of the new frame.

bRXGFtA.jpeg

y5Z6LNs.jpeg

Cut the old top down from 1m x 2m to a more sensible 800mm x 1500mm and put the edging back on.

f1KREHu.jpeg

Piled stuff on it.

uJA7d4c.jpeg

Before fitting the vice and bench drill. The old drill bench was an office desk kindly "donated" by my father in law and bowed dramatically with the weight of the drill. Let's see this one do that!

u337Fn5.jpeg

hYC8MOy.jpeg

RYEAiW2.jpeg

Then because I want a bench on which to make projects firewood, I scoured the interwebz and found this design by Rex Krueger (https://youtu.be/zcq1LQq08lk).

Before anyone points out that Rex's bench has two braces underneath, I know, I ran out of timber. I also need to decide where the dog holes need to go and whether I can reuse the old vice chop.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 9