Why become a member? ×

Hohner 5 string headless - grub screw top adapter?

SamIAm

Recently blessed to obtain a Hohner 5 string headless, sounds great and is lite enough to not stress my already weakened back!

But the range of strings (double ball ended) is ... limited!!!

Can anyone suggest a decent replacement for the headend with grubscrews (or something else) that would allow me to use single ball-end strings?

S'manth x

Eyup Smanth,

When I converted my Ibanez Roadster to 5 string headless (I think the build diary is still on here from tidying it up a couple of decades later) I used the bridge and head string anchor from my B2V.

A little later i fashioned a clamping thing for single ball strings; the choice nowadays is luxury compared to 30 years back!

I only had hand tools, so the holes aren't perfectly straight,  but you get the idea. Maybe you have a friend who is better than I was at engineering diy?

The only thing I found against the idea was that once you cut off the leftover bit of the lower strings they can unravel with no warning, so even though the outer windings remain clamped the inner pulls through, leaving a very slack string! Super glue in the trimmed end proved to be the solution to this.

Hope this is helpful. 

20221020_003932.jpg

20221020_004915.jpg

• Like 2

I'd echo the warning about cutting regular strings...it generally works fine, but there are some that don't stay together.  Round wounds with a hex core work fine, but any string with a round core wire (DR Sunbeams, some NewTone etc) can start unravelling.  The usual solution is to put a 90 degree bend in the string before you cut it, but that doesn't really work if you've only got a short length to clamp into a headpiece.   I've never managed to clamp a set of flat wounds - the E always breaks, and sometimes the A as well.  I've only ever tried old strings (it's too expensive to mess about with) but my experiments have been pretty conclusive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BassBod said:

I'd echo the warning about cutting regular strings...it generally works fine, but there are some that don't stay together.  Round wounds with a hex core work fine, but any string with a round core wire (DR Sunbeams, some NewTone etc) can start unravelling.  The usual solution is to put a 90 degree bend in the string before you cut it, but that doesn't really work if you've only got a short length to clamp into a headpiece.   I've never managed to clamp a set of flat wounds - the E always breaks, and sometimes the A as well.  I've only ever tried old strings (it's too expensive to mess about with) but my experiments have been pretty conclusive.

Nods! I found this an issue when I used long scale TruBass strings on my 30 inch Twiggy build.  But ... the sound was awesome and I had little other shoice!

S'manth x

The US string adapter has a convex dished end to the screw and a corresponding concave dish at the bottom of the clamp screwhole. As you tighten the screw, it crimps the string and prevents it unraveling (so they say). I have successfully removed cut strings and put them back on, so it does appear to work.

Thomann sell a similar string adapter.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_stadb05_adapter_5_string_bk.htm

I've also found that bending strings through 90 degrees does not work with flatwounds.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder
More clarity(?)
  • Like 1