Why become a member? ×

Wolff Brothers German Bass
£5000
Bedford

I'm selling my German Wolff Brothers Bass valued by Ken Knussen at 12500 for insurance purposes. It's a great bass- I've attached a pic of Drew Gress playing it and he really liked it. Rick Rosato and Michael Formanek have also used it for gigs and said they liked it. My friend Sam absolutely loves it.

It's an average 3/4 size, comfortable to play and loud.

The sound is dark but singing, and suits spiros as well as guts. The neck is, as you can see from the pictures, very nicely flamed and was reshaped by Laurence so feels great. All in all it's a joy to play. 

The bass amplifies well and is sold with a realist (in avg condition) attached. 

It had a lot of work done by Laurence Dixon about 5 years ago including the top off and bass bar crack fixed, and at the same time he did everything else that needed doing inside so it's in great condition. 

You are welcome to try it in Bedford. 

Any questions please do let me know. Thanks

drew gress.jpg

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

2.png

7.png

• Like 2

Hi, they’re the new Golden Spring guts from Aquila, they sound very good… They really reflect the attributes of each different bass, I find. Unsympathetic to a badly shot fingerboard.

I prefer real guts (today) but these are definitely great strings and worth having in the box/cupboard/wardrobe.  

Thanks for feedback I love my Chorda G and Oliv D (The Chorda D was a bit flabby but I didn’t give enough time) and Spirocore Weich A & E. Sounds great on my bass.

I’m really interested in Gerold Genssler’s strings the Helix looks the obvious choice but the J-Roque has that Israel Crosby, Sam Jones, Paul Chambers vibe and the Rain-Worm is almost the same but bows fabulously.

• 3 weeks later...

Says something about dealers and valuers that a bass valued at £12.5k hasn't sold yet for a mere £5000.

Mine similar but larger one was valued at £7500 some years ago. I've not found one I like more for under £12k and yet as a trade in against a £10k bass, I was only offered £5k.  True, a dealer would do some work on it before putting it in a showroom.

Anyway, this dealer-free offer seems quite a bargain.