Why become a member? ×

Dumping it all for a pod

Guest MoJo

[quote name='andy67' post='469821' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:22 PM']hi ped,

stupid bit of argumentation there by me! I know the pod doesn't shift air.

however, I have never heard a pod stand up to valve amp ever. I mean, you know, you just simply cant redefine the laws of physics. A DSP, at this very point in time, unless someone finds the solution to infinitive sampling, will never faithfully nor truly recreate an analogue signal but it gives it a bloody good try!

andy[/quote]

I have....And I still think Digital rigs in Metal are unreliable,and dont sound half as good.

however, I have never heard a pod stand up to valve amp ever. I mean, you know, you just simply cant redefine the laws of physics. A DSP, at this very point in time, unless someone finds the solution to infinitive sampling, will never faithfully nor truly recreate an analogue signal but it gives it a bloody good try!

Again, not everywhere has a decent pa so the portability issue raises it's head again. I do think though if these things were that good everybody would use one - it is not a futile argument it is just plain fact - if the pod could recreate my rig then does anyone really think I wouldn't walk that route? I'm 42 overweight and unfit!!

And yes analogue is far better than digital, just to flame the argument, suggesting other wise is just plain silly! I'm glad you guys all love it so much but it just did not do it for me and I really don't see it as a real solution for bass players! my opinion of course.

andy[/quote]

OK :0)

I think the thing about 'everyone would use them' is flawed though - after all not everyone uses a valve head. Maybe they are too expensive? Maybe people don't like IEMs (I know many don't for a fact). Maybe not everyone likes fiddling and messing about (see my post above Alex).

As you are comparing it to your amplifier then I can only say that as a preamp, mated to an appropriate power amp, then it is just another option you can choose in terms of powering a speaker. Some love Markbass, some love valves, some love separates - horses for courses. FWIW my valve sound was always super clean and hifi so I can't speak for a grindy valve sound (I feel most of that is due to the valve power section anyway) but as a clean signal producer I found it every bit as good as both the Trace V4 and the Mesa 400+. I always play with a super clean sound with barely any EQ and as a result my bass sounds pretty much the same through anything. It just so happened that the pod also did lots of other jobs, so I kept it, for a while. Having said that, for live use my pod was pretty much bypassed anyway, as is my Vbass.

ped

[quote name='ARGH' post='469824' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:23 PM']Ive been connected up to one on a demo,and it sounded sh*te....Great for a studio in a bedroom,but not live...[/quote]

Hardly surprising. Line6 did themselves a real disservice by loading the pod with terrible over the top presets and you simply cannot expect to get the best out of it by trying one in a shop!

Fair play, if you don't like 'em, cool. Maybe you would feel differently if you actually picked one up, tried it with an open mind and gave it a chance, but perhaps you are not that kind of player, which is also of course totally cool!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='469831' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:29 PM']OK :0)

I think the thing about 'everyone would use them' is flawed though - after all not everyone uses a valve head. Maybe they are too expensive? Maybe people don't like IEMs (I know many don't for a fact). Maybe not everyone likes fiddling and messing about (see my post above Alex).

As you are comparing it to your amplifier then I can only say that as a preamp, mated to an appropriate power amp, then it is just another option you can choose in terms of powering a speaker. Some love Markbass, some love valves, some love separates - horses for courses. FWIW my valve sound was always super clean and hifi so I can't speak for a grindy valve sound (I feel most of that is due to the valve power section anyway) but as a clean signal producer I found it every bit as good as both the Trace V4 and the Mesa 400+. I always play with a super clean sound with barely any EQ and as a result my bass sounds pretty much the same through anything. It just so happened that the pod also did lots of other jobs, so I kept it, for a while. Having said that, for live use my pod was pretty much bypassed anyway, as is my Vbass.

ped[/quote]
NAIL---->HEAD

Thats why I didnt like them...No dirt..didnt feel grimey...bit like a G/K rig....a note that moves nowt.

[quote name='ARGH' post='469837' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:33 PM']NAIL---->HEAD

Thats why I didnt like them...No dirt..didnt feel grimey...bit like a G/K rig....a note that moves nowt.[/quote]

Different strokes :0)

I did make a grindy patch called 'SVT grit' which many people, like Walman, liked. I will upload a sample of it

EDIT - no I won't, can't find it! these were all recorded with a pod though, except the last one which was direct [url="http://www.freewebs.com/mrped/facethemusic.htm"]http://www.freewebs.com/mrped/facethemusic.htm[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='469836' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:33 PM']Hardly surprising. Line6 did themselves a real disservice by loading the pod with terrible over the top presets and you simply cannot expect to get the best out of it by trying one in a shop!

Fair play, if you don't like 'em, cool. Maybe you would feel differently if you actually picked one up, tried it with an open mind and gave it a chance, but perhaps you are not that kind of player, which is also of course totally cool!

ped[/quote]
recording demo....not a shop tryout....

Again, not everywhere has a decent pa so the portability issue raises it's head again. I do think though if these things were that good everybody would use one - it is not a futile argument it is just plain fact - if the pod could recreate my rig then does anyone really think I wouldn't walk that route? I'm 42 overweight and unfit!!

And yes analogue is far better than digital, just to flame the argument, suggesting other wise is just plain silly! I'm glad you guys all love it so much but it just did not do it for me and I really don't see it as a real solution for bass players! my opinion of course.

andy[/quote]

I'm really sorry Andy, but you are seriously talking rubbish now. I've been playing for over 30 years, have very good ears, had plenty of valve amps, tranny amps, DIs, modelers, etc. I KNOW what my pod can do. Your amp has no presence or headroom either without your cab, so that's a big load of baby balls for a start. The POD f*cked a subwoofer in a pro studio a couple of weeks ago so I know how much air it can push about. The transients are earthshaking through a PA. I'm lucky enough to play in a pro band so I usually have a decent if not superb PA with sound people who know what they're doing.

WHY is analogue FAR better than digital? I absolutely [size=6][b]DEFY [/b][/size]you to tell the difference of an expertly set up POD patch and a DIed SVT in a blind test.

You been on the sauce today or something?

[quote name='ARGH' post='469843' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:40 PM']recording demo....not a shop tryout....[/quote]

I dread to think what my recordings would have sounded like if I didn't already have intimate knowledge of how to work and setup the pod to match my needs. Obviously the engineer wasn't setting it up to your tastes. Not really the pod's fault. Poor old pod. :0(

;0)

[quote name='silddx' post='469844' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:40 PM']I'm really sorry Andy, but you are seriously talking rubbish now. I've been playing for over 30 years, have very good ears, had plenty of valve amps, tranny amps, DIs, modelers, etc. I KNOW what my pod can do. Your amp has no presence or headroom either without your cab, so that's a big load of baby balls for a start. The POD f*cked a subwoofer in a pro studio a couple of weeks ago so I know how much air it can push about. The transients are earthshaking through a PA. I'm lucky enough to play in a pro band so I usually have a decent if not superb PA with sound people who know what they're doing.

WHY is analogue FAR better than digital? I absolutely [size=6][b]DEFY [/b][/size]you to tell the difference of an expertly set up POD patch and a DIed SVT in a blind test.

You been on the sauce today or something?[/quote]

Whilst I agree with you on this, maybe you could take a calmer more reasonable approach!

[quote name='ARGH' post='469852' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:44 PM']There's only one way to sort this out...

FIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!![/quote]

I was waiting for this!! A valve amp would win this no problem, it could just fall on the pod!! I reckon I could beat you up though ARGH. Easy as pie. :)

practically same as you ped, bass in no eq.

your v4 was the newer revision than mine which was more hifi and superclean!

I'm not saying these things are rubbish nor unusable they just don't cut it for an old purist like me! hey, I still have a turntable and far prefer vinyl over cd!

andy

[quote name='ped' post='469850' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:43 PM']Whilst I agree with you on this, maybe you could take a calmer more reasonable approach![/quote]

I am feeling calm and reasonable, Ped :)

I haven't threatened anyone or anything, have I?

If I have, I'm deeply sorry. :rolleyes:

[quote name='silddx' post='469844' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:40 PM']I'm really sorry Andy, but you are seriously talking rubbish now. I've been playing for over 30 years, have very good ears, had plenty of valve amps, tranny amps, DIs, modelers, etc. I KNOW what my pod can do. Your amp has no presence or headroom either without your cab, so that's a big load of baby balls for a start. The POD f*cked a subwoofer in a pro studio a couple of weeks ago so I know how much air it can push about. The transients are earthshaking through a PA. I'm lucky enough to play in a pro band so I usually have a decent if not superb PA with sound people who know what they're doing.

You been on the sauce today or something?[/quote]

ok what ever you think!

andy

[quote name='silddx' post='469857' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:47 PM']I am feeling calm and reasonable, Ped :)

I haven't threatened anyone or anything, have I?

If I have, I'm deeply sorry. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hmm.. a little aggressive IMO hence Andy's reply and withdrawal from an otherwise interesting discussion.

I embrace the digital (I kind of have to with my back!). Correct Andy mine was the newer V4, really nice bit of kit but way too heavy for me nowadays. I shattered a disk in my neck somehow so can't lift much now. My SWR 4x8 is my heaviest cab and is just about bearable!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='469847' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:42 PM']I dread to think what my recordings would have sounded like if I didn't already have intimate knowledge of how to work and setup the pod to match my needs. Obviously the engineer wasn't setting it up to your tastes. Not really the pod's fault. Poor old pod. :0(

;0)[/quote]
It recalls me..the likeness between two Metal guitards....

Trey Azagthoth (No it isnt his real name......thats George...) 6/7 string..Hamers,Gibbo's,Ibanez's,uber super heavy..Fast/slow...Death Metal..you name it..has all the bells and whistles,racks and Blackpool illuminati in his rig..the guys really good..VERY good....and his sound tears rendering from a wall....

Trey is always tinkering..and probably will never stop....

Compare this to Trevor Peres...Of Obituary....

Strat,Rat,50w Marshall,4x10.........

Guess whos got the nastier tone.....Is the faster setup onstage,easiest to work with,and generally the nicer guy....

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='469865' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:51 PM']It recalls me..the likeness between two Metal guitards....

Trey Azagthoth (No it isnt his real name......thats George...) 6/7 string..Hamers,Gibbo's,Ibanez's,uber super heavy..Fast/slow...Death Metal..you name it..has all the bells and whistles,racks and Blackpool illuminati in his rig..the guys really good..VERY good....and his sound tears rendering from a wall....

Trey is always tinkering..and probably will never stop....

Compare this to Trevor Peres...Of Obituary....

Strat,Rat,50w Marshall,4x10.........

Guess whos got the nastier tone.....Is the faster setup onstage,easiest to work with,and generally the nicer guy....[/quote]

[size=1]Me?[/size]

[quote name='ped' post='469864' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:51 PM']Hmm.. a little aggressive IMO hence Andy's reply and withdrawal from an otherwise interesting discussion.

I embrace the digital (I kind of have to with my back!). Correct Andy mine was the newer V4, really nice bit of kit but way too heavy for me nowadays. I shattered a disk in my neck somehow so can't lift much now. My SWR 4x8 is my heaviest cab and is just about bearable!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Withdrawal? Because of what I said?

Andy, I am really sorry, that's the last thing I wanted to happen, I just thought we were having a heated debate. :)

"The problem with the POD for a lot of people is the manual." - It needs to be read and understood.

I really have seen so many users of 'modelling' kit get it so wrong and end up with the 'headroom-less moosh' that I believe is being discussed above. As Ped suggests, you need to understand how the kit works properly before you start faffing around with ya earphones on, wondering why it sounds aweful through ya 'normal' bass stack.

sorry folks, I always take the kids for a long walk after dinner...but they always find me again!! :)

where was I??

ah yes I think I'll take the diplomatic retreat and agree to disagree.

Siddx - not offended don't worry and no apology necessary.
andy

yeah! lets keep the love in as we are all very passionate about our gear!

we are all decent fellows and sorry for being a dick also!

I'm off to hug my rig now... :wub:

ps - just been listening to smokin by humble pie - it is superb recommended listening!

link: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWEoMM4PDY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWEoMM4PDY[/url]

andy