Why become a member? ×

Headless Bass - Combined head piece replacement - 5 string

whizzzy

Has anyone come across a head piece replacement such as this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185589296645 but for a 5 string? I am aware of the 5 string adaptor which sits on top of the original head piece but this looks a far tidier option. Nothing has come up on a Google search.

I can contact the seller to see if a 5 string version could be made but the cost for the 4 string with postage already looks a bit heavy so prefer to investigate any alternatives which could be out there.

Thanks.

Head anchor.jpg

Never seen this before, but that looks great! It's a whole lot cleaner than having to add an extra adapter behind the headpiece. I've sold my Hohner B2A last year, otherwise I would have been VERY interested. I don't mind having to buy double ball strings, and really like Status Hotwires, but I tend to favour Elixirs on everything else and would have loved to be able to use them on my Hohner. Shame it's not symmetrical though, for us lefties!

Edit: I see the same seller lists a version for the 5-string Spirit. Would that fit a Hohner 5-string as well? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185572620611

Edited by LeftyJ

Another option @whizzzy ... I anticipate having access to a semi-industrial CNC in the next month or so (We've one at my makerspace that we are in the process of upgrading) and I will be using it extensively in the production of Phoenix.

I'd be happy to draw up a design and craft one for you, if you supplied the raw material (And possibly the cost of a suitable router bit if I don't already have one that would work) and covered postage.  I could do it in aluminium or brass, but sadly have no means to give it a black coating.

S'manth x

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd be inclined to go with brass. A little heavier (I don't know if that's a better or worse thing tonally, my instincts say better but what do they know?) but it will take a higher torque on a bolt without stripping the thread, so it's a safer option if you might be a little heavy handed.

• Like 1

The attachment is more important than the metal material. It has to stay tight. The weight will affect the tuning of the system (body, neck etc.) but you are pretty much unable to measure it. If you buy the headpiece in both materials and you can make a stable measuring system, you may be able to analyze some minute difference. Maybe.

On 20/12/2022 at 12:46, murathan said:

I am in contact with the manufacturer. I was looking for a 5 string combined headpiece for my Steinberger XT25. I am trying to decide between Brass and Aluminium material.

They say the sound wise they are different. What do you guys think?

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 12.46.07.png

That brass screamed yes to me straight away although I confess I didn't consider the weight potential

• 1 month later...

I am having a terrible experience at the moment. I met this seller guy from Ebay and we agreed upon 2x headpieces one for me and one for my friend. The headpieces have been sold as Steinberger Spirit XT 25 compatible however they are for thicker and bigger :( I paid over paypal thankfully.

Seller asked me to take some measurements and offered to manufacture a compatible one. And he also told me to sell the incompatible parts if I want to. So he accepted to waste those parts. However I didn't feel safe this way and I offered him to send my original Steinberger Spirit XT-25 headpiece and his wrong headpieces by paying the shipment fee out of my pocket. More than a month passed and the items lost during shipment:( Now the seller refuses to refund. I need to open up a paypal dispute, however I won't be able to get my original headpiece back. So it was a big loss for me. Now trying to figure out how to find a replacement headpiece.

I am sharing my experience with you guys to not to do stupid things like I did. 

• Sad 1

I made one from 6082 first, but something happened and I had to make another. This time from Alumec-89, which is far harder than the previous Al, but very reasonable to machine. This still lacks colour (anodized black) and some finishing, but you get the idea.

I didn't make those DBE slots, because there are lots of ordinary strings available.

20230201_203842.thumb.jpg.e0e479a48559215f643a019a9ceec08e.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://grabcad.com/library/steinberger-spirit-xt-25-head-piece-mockup-1

I ended up designing a headpiece and 3d printed it. It cannot hold the double ball strings but with the string adapter it does the job until I find an original replacement. 🥹

If anyone wants to machine this design let me know, I can help with the alterations

DA40DD08-5BCF-4E12-BD4E-6EFBA9A0334F.jpeg

Edited by murathan
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 08:14, itu said:

I made one from 6082 first, but something happened and I had to make another. This time from Alumec-89, which is far harder than the previous Al, but very reasonable to machine. This still lacks colour (anodized black) and some finishing, but you get the idea.

I didn't make those DBE slots, because there are lots of ordinary strings available.

20230201_203842.thumb.jpg.e0e479a48559215f643a019a9ceec08e.jpg

M3 grub screws are a very good idea💪