Why become a member? ×

Calling Planet Earth - 80s review show

Grassie

Hi all,

Last weekend I took Mrs Grassie to see a band called Calling Planet Earth. They are an 80s “tribute” act (more of a review show) and play a lot of stuff from early in that decade like Duran, Spandau, Gary Numan, OMD. They are fantastic, great musicians and put on a decent show. However….

We could hardly hear the bassist. All those fantastic tunes with the bass high in the mix on the originals, but were  practically inaudible when CPE played them. It’s the second time we’ve seen them at this venue, and it was the same last time. I had hoped it was an anomaly first time and that we’d be able to hear those impeccable grooves, but alas ‘twas not to be.

It looked to me like they were all wearing IEMs as there were no amps visible on stage, and the bassist seems to be enjoying himself, as did everyone else, so I’m assuming what they were hearing was fine.

Anyone else seen them, and wondered where the bass was?

Edited by Grassie

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

He’s playing a hollow body Gretsch in a lot of the clips on YT, there was another being used but, as ever, the videos are a singer/guitarist fest.

First time we saw them he was playing that Gretcsh, last week he was playing what looked like a Westone Thunder (single split P pickup). Both were inaudible.

58 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That doesn't sound very 80s authentic.

X-Factors and Steinberger cricket bats would normally be order of the day (or Wal if one has the cash) visually I guess (I played none of those in my ‘80s band, just generic Fender shaped objects and a Ric). But let’s be honest, other than the denizens of BC and its ilk, no one notices/cares, other than, “Ooh, look! That’s a pretty orange guitar,” :D 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grassie said:

First time we saw them he was playing that Gretcsh, last week he was playing what looked like a Westone Thunder (single split P pickup). Both were inaudible.

That would quite decade specific.

54 minutes ago, Grassie said:

I should add that the bassist is also the band’s MD…

Often the case.

• Like 1