Why become a member? ×

Subs!

skidder652003

We have an 18" Mackie Thump powered sub.

Frankly I've never liked it and think it sounds pants.

So we have just purchased 2 of these

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/hh-hps115-active-subwoofer-1400w

£350 each. No idea if they will be any good, but the price and 5 year warranty is attractive so we will be outing them next weekend.

I will report back if anyone is interested.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

That is MAX or peak so probably 122dB real world but two of those will pack a punch. Should keep up with two tops easily.

I hope so.

We have 2 x 315 RCF Tops and 2 x  315 RCF wedge monitors (The same as the tops) so hoping for a decent level of clarity and punch. Everything mic'd up apart from Markbass combo which is DI.

Any sub can sound like skid marks if you send it too high or low or too much too much. Your active ones should be self filtering and limiting to avoid that but may allow leeway for user exuberance to cause the aforementioned skid marks. So do please RTFM!

There's a temptation when your subs are out gunning your mains, to raise the low pass on the subs to help them out. Meh.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Thanks 1

Are you looking to play bass full range through it or as part of a biamped system?

From a casual glance, it looks like there's no way to defeat the low pass (high cut) filter that's part of the crossover on the sub itself. That's not going to sound very good as a full range speaker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Are you looking to play bass full range through it or as part of a biamped system?

From a casual glance, it looks like there's no way to defeat the low pass (high cut) filter that's part of the crossover on the sub itself. That's not going to sound very good as a full range speaker.

https://manuals.plus/hh-electronics/hps-115-active-subwoofer-manual

5 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

The cabinet cuts off between 100 & 200 Hz based on the crossover control. It’s unsuitable as a bass guitar speaker without a full range cabinet to cover above the HF cutoff of the sub cabinet 

ok but would they be any good as part of a full PA setup?

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

ok but would they be any good as part of a full PA setup?

I think our ernest pal Agedhorse missed the point of your enquiry and took a tangent. They are indeed subwoofers. I couldn't say if they have the oomph you need without running down the specs of your other cabs. That's another question AH might address.

• Like 1

Hey Steve, still after more volume :)

It’s hard to tell just from the specs how good these will be and how well they will integrate with your RCFs. They are remarkably cheap for something with what looks like a decent crossover, a power amp and 15” speaker. It’s hard to see how they could have spent much on the speaker and it is likely that it will have restricted excursion or an undersized motor system. However it is remarkable just how much some of the cheaper gear is giving you nowadays for your money.

On the plus side they will allow you to get more out of your tops and our ears aren’t very sensitive to bass so it is always surprising just how much modest subs will add to your sound. If you are lucky they will have DSP protected the speakers from over excursion so you shouldn’t have to worry about pushing them. 

These look so like my Wharfedale subs I checked to see who owned HH, it’s actually Laney. That’s probably good news as Laney are making a lot of solid old school kit. We pulled apart a Laney PA speaker recently and it had quite a decent class A/B amp in it. For the price it sounded great. If you are lucky you might have bought an unremarkable but well priced and specced speaker. 

Really interested in how you get on with this in practice. Gigging up near the Somerset borders soon?

• Thanks 1

On 27/08/2022 at 10:10, Phil Starr said:

Hey Steve, still after more volume :)

It’s hard to tell just from the specs how good these will be and how well they will integrate with your RCFs. They are remarkably cheap for something with what looks like a decent crossover, a power amp and 15” speaker. It’s hard to see how they could have spent much on the speaker and it is likely that it will have restricted excursion or an undersized motor system. However it is remarkable just how much some of the cheaper gear is giving you nowadays for your money.

On the plus side they will allow you to get more out of your tops and our ears aren’t very sensitive to bass so it is always surprising just how much modest subs will add to your sound. If you are lucky they will have DSP protected the speakers from over excursion so you shouldn’t have to worry about pushing them. 

These look so like my Wharfedale subs I checked to see who owned HH, it’s actually Laney. That’s probably good news as Laney are making a lot of solid old school kit. We pulled apart a Laney PA speaker recently and it had quite a decent class A/B amp in it. For the price it sounded great. If you are lucky you might have bought an unremarkable but well priced and specced speaker. 

Really interested in how you get on with this in practice. Gigging up near the Somerset borders soon?

Yer Tiz bike rally, near crediton? 1st October.

Newton St Cyres, Exeter EX5 5AT

http://www.yertizbikerally.co.uk/