Why become a member? ×

Machine head screw

giamma

Hi guys.. 
yesterday I retired my doublebass from the luthier for a setup and now a screw from a machine head has been missing..(no comment please)
The machine is a Irving Sloane in the picture you can seen the screw.. 
Does anybody have an idea where I can find that screw? Who is the producer?

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

Edited by giamma

3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Can't open file... post a jpeg

Take a look at spaldings fasteners...

Used em a few times for bridge saddle height screws and odds for the motorbike.

Thank you for the answer I'l check the website you mentioned ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Find the nearest mechanical engineers merchant and take the screw there, make sure that you also have pictures of the machineheads with you  - they will have the necessary thread gauges to determine what the thread is, so should be able to provide you with something that will work in its place, or inform you exactly what the thread specification is if they don't carry it in stock.

If they have something that will be a drop in replacement like a stainless steel capscrew, buy 4 so you have a full set of spares (or if you are ocd about things matching). While you are there also pick up a small tube of non-permantent threadlock compound (a small drop on the threads of the screw before assembly will prevent the screws accidentally vibrating loose).

The fixing you have pictured doesn't look like something you can buy off the shelf - if your luthier can't find the missing fixing you might have a bit of a job tracking down one exactly the same unless you can contact the company that manufactures these machine heads directly.

The luthier told me he found the machine head that way, without the screw, to me seems impossible to lose it because I've never unscrew it..

By the way.. I found the distributor of the machine and I've been lucky because he had a spare part, it arrived yesterday

• Like 4