Why become a member? ×

OC-2 fault?

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. I bought an old OC-2 off eBay a few weeks back. I used it for just a few minutes, went on holiday, came back today and.... After about ten mins messing around with various riffs I'd like to use it for the Octave 2 function just stopped. Completely stopped. The direct signal knob and Octave 1 work perfectly but Octave 2 is now silent. 

Is there a common or known fault with these? My mate may be able to fix it, he builds his own guitar pedals and is an engineer by trade, but I'd like to be able to give him a clue what's going on with it.

I've also politely asked the eBay seller if he was aware of anything with these...

Was the octave 2 working at some point? I ask because a common modification is to disable the octave 2 in order to give a volume boost to the octave 1. It’s done by desoldering a resistor inside. Wonder if this has been done by just desoldering one side so as to leave it hanging (so it doesn’t get lost) and perhaps it was touching the contact intermittently. Might be worth taking the back off and having a look. 

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Was the octave 2 working at some point? I ask because a common modification is to disable the octave 2 in order to give a volume boost to the octave 1. It’s done by desoldering a resistor inside. Wonder if this has been done by just desoldering one side so as to leave it hanging (so it doesn’t get lost) and perhaps it was touching the contact intermittently. Might be worth taking the back off and having a look. 

Thanks, it worked when I first got it but the output was low. No crackling or cutting in and out, just quiet. Then when fiddling around the other day it just stopped. 

I don't mind taking a look at it if you'd like, I'm at home with long covid and have just finished two pedals, so looking for something new to tinker with.

If memory serves then the 2nd octave is its own little circuit (separate IC to the 1st octave and the clean), and I've got a couple in from when I built my clone, or it could just be the pot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1