Why become a member? ×

Fretless Stingray Bass Neck

MM Stingray 62

Does anyone know why Ernie Ball aren’t offering a fretless neck option anymore? I know you could always get a Status neck but now that’s not possible. Status have said they aren’t making anymore for a while at least. I think it would be nice for them to offer fretted or fretless necks on the new Special’s.

If this is the case then this is really disappointing for us fretless bass players.

Actually, looking at the website, they don't even do a standard Stingray any more. They only list the following,

Darkray

Joe Dart

Tim Commerford

Stingray Special

Sterling

Bongo

John Myung

Mike Herrera

Cliff Williams

Short Scale Stingray

It seems to me that there must a business opportunity for an enterprising luthier to start producing fretless necks for EBMM and MM Sterling Stingrays.  I, for one, would like to buy a fretless neck for a Sterling by MM SB14.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

I think most of the above are limited edition basses and probably all sold out by now. That leaves the Bongo the special and the sterling.

So you cant actually buy a standard Stingray SR4. That's like Fender not selling a US Jazz or Precision. Seems mad to me.

8 hours ago, Linus27 said:

If this is the case then this is really disappointing for us fretless bass players.

Actually, looking at the website, they don't even do a standard Stingray any more. They only list the following,

Darkray

Joe Dart

Tim Commerford

Stingray Special

Sterling

Bongo

John Myung

Mike Herrera

Cliff Williams

Short Scale Stingray

The Special is the current "regular" Stingray, with the new lightweight hardware and updated electronics. Shame they're only offering two finishes right now though.

Maybe they're trying to push buyers down to the Sterling range, which offers more colours and finishes, and, thanks to recent updates, actually sound the part now. 

9 hours ago, Russ said:

The Special is the current "regular" Stingray, with the new lightweight hardware and updated electronics. Shame they're only offering two finishes right now though.

Maybe they're trying to push buyers down to the Sterling range, which offers more colours and finishes, and, thanks to recent updates, actually sound the part now. 

Just checked the website again and no fretless option on the special but it is showing 9 colour options so its a start :)

They tend to make a few one offs of Stingray Specials (over the last couple of years, left handed in both HH and H formats, SLO Special neck versions, and occasional BFR model Stingray Specials in fretless format - all have been available in the vault for international shipping). 

That seems to be the business model these days - standard models available (Stingray Specials with a decent range of colours) and anything slightly different is done in limited runs. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, obbm said:

It seems to me that there must a business opportunity for an enterprising luthier to start producing fretless necks for EBMM and MM Sterling Stingrays.  I, for one, would like to buy a fretless neck for a Sterling by MM SB14.

The fretless neck on my Ray was made by Jaydee. If you come across a similar one, grab it immediately with both hands.

image.thumb.png.9f41d0048d6e5cdfd05358e5e279e106.png

• Like 1