Why become a member? ×

Buying from EU query

dmccombe7

All these delays don't help if the parcel actually goes missing in transit, as by the time you are allowed make a claim it will be long gone. At the beginning of last year I had an expensive shipment for my work disappear while in customs in Belgium. The number of days I had to wait before being able to make a claim seemed to increase every time I contacted the shipping service, and at the same time I was having to apologise to my customer almost daily for the lack of information I was getting and was able to give them. In the end the parcel was declared lost and I was able to make an insurance claim which was paid in full, but the process from initially sending the parcel to receiving my insurance money took about 2 months. My customer found an EU source for the items that didn't involve customs clearance so I lost out on a quite lucrative part of my business that up to the beginning of 2021 had been going flawlessly. 

Also after having several records and CDs that I sell for the for various bands I am in (or was in and still sell) go missing or been returned back to me after months in transit, I no longer ship anything out of the UK using Royal Mail/Parcel Force and their EU country equivalents. I will now only use services that are the same in both the sending a destination country like UPS or FedEX (and not the cheaper end of those company's services where the pickup or delivery is farmed out to a 3rd party). That means that my shipping charges are now considerably higher than they used to be, but it the only reliable way of getting stuff to recipients outside of the UK.

I know this is not what the OP will want to be hearing, but they should be preparing themselves for the fact that their amp has gone missing, and if you are going to want to have a replacement rather than refund, they should persuade the manufacturer to use a more reliable shipping method.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

Bass guitar took a week from Poland,  its raining, bloody Brexit.

A week ? something's definitely gone wrong with the amp delivery.

Who did it ship with and if customs costs due was it pre-paid from the Polish end. ?

Edited by dmccombe7

Guest gazzatriumph
5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

A week ? something's definitely gone wrong with the amp delivery.

Who did it ship with and if customs costs due was it pre-paid from the Polish end. ?

It went from Poland to Bass Direct, so maybe that's why there were no problems. 

35 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

It went from Poland to Bass Direct, so maybe that's why there were no problems. 

From what i've gathered a shop can set up paperwork to pre-pay any import taxes to allow an easy flow of goods. 

No idea how it all works tho.

Dave