Why become a member? ×

Extra Cab?

stufunkybass

Hi All,

I know about ohms and delivering full power from amp heads etc. But have would like some advice or thoughts on the below.

I have a 500 watt head and a 350 watt head plus a single 12" cab.

My thinking is to add an extra cab to the 350 head or use the 500 watt head with the single cab. 

I play in a 4 piece soul/funk band.

Welcome thoughts.

Stu

3 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Another (identical) cab is the correct answer... regardless of which amp you use.

Absolutely correct. The second cab will increase both sensitivity and maximum output by 6dB. That's the equivalent of quadrupling power. Chances are the 350 watt amp will deliver all the power the drivers can handle. It's the rare twelve that can make use of more than 175w before running out of excursion capacity. OTOH the number of twelves that can take 500w without exceeding their excursion capacity is small, and they're PA subwoofer drivers, not electric bass drivers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

What is the objective, and what is the issue that you are looking to correct?

I dont think there is enough performance coming from the single 12 with the 350 watt head and single cab. I have a chance to get an identical cab but it would mean letting the 500 watt head go, so weighing up options.