Why become a member? ×

The birth of Barefaced

To give an update on the situation, I finished the first cab (very roughly) before going on holiday. There were a few problems with vibrations etc and the planned fabric grill turned out to be a nightmare. I've done a thoroughly updated design of this model with more extensive bracing and some component changes plus a metal grill. I've also designed a compact 15" cab using the 3015 woofer instead of the 3015LF as I'm getting rather into that more mellow sound, plus the less deep and wide bottom could be nice when there's a big PA with subs also putting out lows. The reduced size and weight of the 3015 cab could be nice if you want to use two cabs if you have a low powered amp and want a really high sensitivity (103dB) rig.

I'm in the process of ordering parts for a few these cabs and then I'm going to start building them on a limited basis once I've done one of each cab for myself.

Alex

[quote name='Musky' post='201089' date='May 17 2008, 03:56 PM']Incidentally Alex, what kind of size and weight are you envisioning for the compact 15" cab?[/quote]

I think the big 15"+6.5" will be just over 40lbs and the compact 15" just over 30lbs. Sizewise, the big one is 740mm H x 520mm W x 400mm vs the compact 15" at 640mm H x 480mm W x 340mm D. In inches that's approximately 29"x20.5"x16" and 25"x19"x13.5".

The big one is ~97dB sensitivity, -3dB @ 48Hz, -10dB @ 36Hz, the midrange speaker takes the response to ~10kHz, and handles 800W comfortably, recommended amp power 200-1000W, 2000W if you're sensible.

The compact 15" is ~98.5dB sensitivity, -3dB @ 67Hz, -10dB @ 43Hz, response reaches to ~4kHz, and handles 400W comfortably, recommended amp power 100-500W, 1000W if you're sensible.

With suitable amplification I'd expect the big one to achieve similar output to a 6x10" and the compact similar output to at 3x10", though obviously the tone will be different.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='204474' date='May 22 2008, 06:19 PM']Well I've just ordered a pile of grills for these cabs, five for the compact 15" and four for the big 15"+6.5", so I'm committed to making at least nine of them! :)

Alex[/quote]

And so the obsession begins..... :huh:

I have[i] just about [/i]managed to stop building cabs...still going to rehab once a week to talk over my problems :huh:

Just got a pair of nice transmission line HiFi cabs on the cards next, but not for a while yet....

I assume you have got the 15" & 6.5" cab in a state that you are happy with the sound now ?

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='204742' date='May 23 2008, 08:31 AM']And so the obsession begins..... :)

I have[i] just about [/i]managed to stop building cabs...still going to rehab once a week to talk over my problems :huh:[/quote]

'rehab' - that's another name for 'basschat', no?

I've built a 15+mid that's co-incidentally turned out very similar to Alex's (same LF driver, volume, dimensions, though a different mid/high unit and I wasn't brave enough to go below 18mm ply) and it's definitely an all-round goodie. I don't think I'd dare stick 2kW up it though.

[quote]Just got a pair of nice transmission line HiFi cabs on the cards next, but not for a while yet....[/quote]

Would be very interested to hear how that goes. Your own design?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='204474' date='May 22 2008, 06:19 PM']Well I've just ordered a pile of grills for these cabs, five for the compact 15" and four for the big 15"+6.5", so I'm committed to making at least nine of them! :)

Alex[/quote]

Have you considered using poplar ply, Alex?

[quote name='stevie' post='205005' date='May 23 2008, 02:43 PM']Have you considered using poplar ply, Alex?[/quote]

Have you tried finding it? Decent ply is very elusive! I'm using FSC Brazilian hardwood ply which is less dense than Baltic Birch but presumably denser than poplar.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Well I now have two 3015s, two 3015LFs, one 605Nd, one 6ND410, and enough hardware including grills for 10 cabs! Unfortunately my local woodshop's panel saw was out of commission last week, so once that's fixed I'm heading in to get to basic panels cut for all the cabs (they do it much quicker than I can with a circular saw). Have drawn up cunning cut sheets to minimise number of cuts - really helps to work in batches because you can make one sheet of ply just into sides, one into backs, etc. Then I'm going to start assembling the first cab as that's needed like yesterday (!) and then I'll make a whole load of braces etc so I can get on with screwing and glueing without having to keep stopping to fire up the circular saw.

The 3015 and 605Nd are both really nice looking speakers - the former is concentrically ribbed to get greater treble response then the LF version (which I suspect will give it much better off-axis response than basic theory would suggest) whilst the latter features a very smart aluminium phase plug for improved off-axis response and cooling.

Alex

Aha! New crossover designed for the 3015LF/605Nd combo. Damn complicated with some cunning impedance compensation to get a smooth transition but it looks like it should work really well. Not cheap but certainly worth the extra money.

Alex

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='212805' date='Jun 4 2008, 10:20 PM']So Alex, have you changed the cab design or just the crossover ?[/quote]

I've changed the port shape - from triangle to slot - and the mid enclosure to a simple cuboid (bit more output from both woofer and mid due to the gain in woofer enclosure volume and loss in mid enclosure volume). And different handles, grill, corners. And I've designed a simple 1x15" which will represent half the cabs I'm building.

Alex

Currently in the process of getting a one-off 15" cab completed and also working on perfecting the crossover on the 15"+6.5". I can now say with certainty why most cabs don't take this woofer+mid with true crossover approach - it is a nightmare to get it working without a crazy amount of components - current count stands at eleven and that's assuming I can get caps, resistors and coils in the exact values I want!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='216455' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:55 PM']Currently in the process of getting a one-off 15" cab completed and also working on perfecting the crossover on the 15"+6.5". I can now say with certainty why most cabs don't take this woofer+mid with true crossover approach - it is a nightmare to get it working without a crazy amount of components - current count stands at eleven and that's assuming I can get caps, resistors and coils in the exact values I want!

Alex[/quote]

Have you tried out the cab using an active crossover/bi amped to see how it sounds first, or are you just making the leap of faith....

Dave
PS ste_m3, did you get my pm about the omni, you never replied if you did.... :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='216749' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:59 AM']Pictures...? :)[/quote]

Good point, shall take some this evening!

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='216837' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:24 PM']Have you tried out the cab using an active crossover/bi amped to see how it sounds first, or are you just making the leap of faith...[/quote]

Neither! :huh: If I can get the cab to plot out pretty flat then I'm very confident that it will sound how I want. I've just done another redesign of the crossover (this is the 6th iteration for this driver combo) and this time I've got the component count down to six with my best response yet - the big challenge is getting the woofer and mid to cross over low enough without having too shallow a slope to protect the mid. The way it's working is that the cap and coil values are such that they actually compensate for the impedance variations to a good degree and I'm just using a small amount of impedance compensation on the mid. By avoiding impedance compensation on the woofer I'm getting greater sensitivity and avoiding adding tens of pounds to the component cost and lbs to the weight.

Have also had some thoughts about the build process and thus need to order a large pile of clamps!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='224642' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:13 AM']Sooner buy a new one than be caught dressed up like that again :)[/quote]

:huh:

I found the original thing I read about the repair if anyone's interested. No idea how it would sound, though the guy swore it worked well. Probably worth bearing in mind for emergencies, if nothing else. As long as you don't mind keeping nail varnish and tights with your toolbox. :huh:

[quote]Coat the area around a rip in a speaker cone (a good inch or two on either side of the tear) with nailvarnish, leave it for a minute to go tacky then place a patch thats been cut out from a pair of tights (or stockings will do Big Grin) on it and smooth it out. Once the nailvarnish has set a little more, coat the whole area with another layer of nailvarnish. Do the same to the other side of the cone and there you have it. One good as new, professionaly repaired speaker for a fraction of the price it would cost to get a speaker re coned.[/quote]

Edited by Musky

• 2 weeks later...

Am rapidly getting the first of The Compacts together. First box and bracing all together, baffle waiting to be glued in. Very pleased with how the dimensions have worked out - tall enough to get the speaker away from the floor (to minimise early reflections) and closer to your ears for better mids but nice and shallow so easy to carry.

The build is going so fast as I get more experienced that I might do a pair for my next gig just for total overkill! I'll leave the finish until afterwards so my first customers get completely fresh shiny cabs. First come, first served! :)

Alex

Coolness! One of the BFM forumites has measured an EA Wizzy M-Line's frequency response plot and I've just overlaid that with the calculated/measured plot for The Compact. There are two lines for the Wizzy, one with equal voltage (i.e. same gain on the amp), one with equal power. The Wizzy is smaller but it's about the same weight and the price is far higher.

I love the EA designs, definitely some of the best in the business, so this is really satisfying! :)

Alex

Alex, please take this as a purposeful comment:-

If you want to start making these cabs to supply them to punters and sell them for a profit, the finish is [i]the most important part of the finished product[/i].

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=9833"]cab photo[/url]

I want you to succeed with this, but unless you get the finish looking spot on then they will always look like a 'homemade box'

Ditch the top handles, revert to side mounted flip handles or steel bar handles, work on the carpet skills or invest some time and money in a painted finish other than the tuffcab, as it scratches far to easily. Perhaps sending the cabs off to places that do the truck liner stuff (line x coatings for example)

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='232933' date='Jul 4 2008, 10:32 PM']If you want to start making these cabs to supply them to punters and sell them for a profit, the finish is [i]the most important part of the finished product[/i].[/quote]

I know.

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='232933' date='Jul 4 2008, 10:32 PM']Ditch the top handles, revert to side mounted flip handles or steel bar handles, work on the carpet skills or invest some time and money in a painted finish other than the tuffcab, as it scratches far to easily. Perhaps sending the cabs off to places that do the truck liner stuff (line x coatings for example)[/quote]

These cabs are so light that flip handles and bar handles which compromise cab integrity and add weight are pointless. I will see how the tuffcab performs before making a final decision.

Alex