Why become a member? ×

Advice on action please

Bass-ic

Hi.
My new Ibanez is now getting on for a year old and the action could really do with some help as it is slowly getting higher and higher. The neck is starting to bow slightly and I am thinking of attempting to sort this out myself. Is it really a simple case of just tightening the truss rod slightly or is there more to it than that.

Im not sure about this as every book i have read has said that its best done by someone who knows what they are doing.

It cant be that difficult , can it?

:)

Cheers in advance
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='464719' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:46 AM']It cant be that difficult , can it?[/quote]
No, but in the words of the Spector owners manual -

[quote]Truss rods can be tightened. Most things in life that can be tightened, can be tightened too far! When that happens there is usually an accompanying sound and ensuing pain in the stomach. When in doubt, seek professional advice. An ounce of prevention and all that.[/quote]
Having said that, I do all my own work unless I'm having real problems. Also, the manufacturer doesn't want you sueing them if you f*** it up [and neither do you], hence the warnings. Have you got an old bass you can practice on? I practised on a 20 year old Aria that had never had the rod touched since it was made - probably not a good idea.

It's a balance of neck relief, saddle height, strings & playing style. [url="http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/electric_basses.pdf"]Ibby users manual.[/url]

Edited by johnnylager

Adjusting a truss rod is always a little nerve-wracking the first time. Day one - loosen the truss rod by a 1/8 turn, then bring it back by 1/8 and tighten it by a further 1/8 turn (unless there is significant resistance).

Leave it to settle overnight. By the morning, you'll be feeling a little more confident, and you'll know what amount of resistance is the right amount of resistance.

S.P.

Im in central Bristol, if anyone were to be kind enough to help out!

i was concerened that i might have to start adjusting the bridge and intonation etc.

cheers for all your input.

I didnt realise that Ibanez gave out owbers manuals, as I didn't get one with my bass.

Matt

[quote name='jmstone' post='464777' date='Apr 17 2009, 10:41 AM']I read somewhere that some older guitars need you to hold the neck into the new position before adjusting the rod, whereas more modern guitars you can just tweak the rod, and the neck follows. Not sure if this is true or not..

James[/quote]

That's certainly the case with Rickenbackers, but I don't know of any others where you have to do that. Doubtless there are some though.