Why become a member? ×

MTD KZ5 vs Ibanez EHB1505

lemmywinks

Had decided a while ago to upgrade my current main bass, been liking a more modern 2 x humbucker approach and will be looking to use the opportunity to get something a bit lighter than the 11.6lb Sire I currently use, hopefully around 8lbs. Needs to be a 5 string with 18-19mm spacing.

Had basically set my heart on waiting for a used MTD KZ5 to turn up within grabbing distance and set aside a bit of money for a pickup upgrade (Nordstrand/Barts) at some point, probably around £800ish total spend, however the Ibanez EHB1505 with the Nordstrand Big Splits is currently on sale as a silly price so I've been considering that.

I can remember the Ibanez had a lot of QC issues with these basses, is there any still being shipped like this? Also is the low B just good for a cheaper bass or is it genuinely up there with more expensive stuff? I've always liked Cort factory low Bs but tbh my current Sire does it better than all the 5 string Corts I've owned. It's the standard 34" version of the Ibanez I'm looking at, not the multiscale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was after the same (5 string, light, 18-19mm spacing, £800) and also narrowed it down to the KZ5 and EHB15005.

I tried an MTD in a shop and there were some issues with it picking up or making high pitched electrical interferance sqeeky noises - perhaps that was a one off or there was something else wrong in the setup but it put me off getting that particular one, it seemed a fine bass but I wasn't amazed enought to try and figure out the issue. I got a EHB 15005 MS new and there were no quality control issues, I have been quite amazed by the weight, size, and variety of tones.

I guess it comes down to the sound (they seemed similar), headless vs normal, (and normal scale vs multiscale in the case of the one I got), the looks, erganomics, Ibanez has sweepable mids which I like so it wins a point there but I think I preferred the feel of playing the MTD with its asymetrical neck and I think the MTD string spacing is slightly wider (19mm vs 18mm) which I'd prefer.

I'd need to try both side by side in a few situations (e.g. a few hours practice sitting down at home, playing loud with a band through an amp/cab) to really know how they are different in tone and playability and erganomics, both seemed pretty similar from what I remember....I might buy a second hand MTD to really test them against each other over a few weeks and then sell one of them - I expect it'd be quite a difficult choice though.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SumOne said:

I was after the same (5 string, light, 18-19mm spacing, £800) and also narrowed it down to the KZ5 and EHB15005.

I tried an MTD in a shop and there were some issues with it picking up or making high pitched electrical interferance sqeeky noises - perhaps that was a one off or there was something else wrong in the setup but it put me off getting that particular one, it seemed a fine bass but I wasn't amazed enought to try and figure out the issue. I got a EHB 15005 MS new and there were no quality control issues, I have been quite amazed by the weight, size, and variety of tones.

I guess it comes down to the sound (they seemed similar), headless vs normal, (and normal scale vs multiscale in the case of the one I got), the looks, erganomics, Ibanez has sweepable mids which I like so it wins a point there but I think I preferred the feel of playing the MTD with its asymetrical neck and I think the MTD string spacing is slightly wider (19mm vs 18mm) which I'd prefer.

I'd need to try both side by side in a few situations (e.g. a few hours practice sitting down at home, playing loud with a band through an amp/cab) to really know how they are different in tone and playability and erganomics, both seemed pretty similar from what I remember....I might buy a second hand MTD to really test them against each other over a few weeks and then sell one of them - I expect it'd be quite a difficult choice though.

Well I also got the EHB1505 and it's brilliant, however I think the only real solution is to still get a KZ5 at some point and stick some Big Splits in it just to be sure.

The KZ5 for sale on here isn't too far from you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SumOne said:

and I think the MTD string spacing is slightly wider (19mm vs 18mm) which I'd prefer.

Remember that the Ibanez has adjustable string spacing by 1/2mm either way, so you can get it to 18.5mm - I have mine on 17.5mm (actually slightly wider on the big strings and narrower on the small ones)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Remember that the Ibanez has adjustable string spacing by 1/2mm either way, so you can get it to 18.5mm - I have mine on 17.5mm (actually slightly wider on the big strings and narrower on the small ones)

The trouble I've found with that (and with any bass with adjustable bridge) is that there's still similar space available between all strings combined as can only add a little bit overall by moving both the B and G or the strings start slipping off the end of the frets as the nut/fingerboard/frets/pickups are basically designed around 18mm spacing. So you can do like you have done (and I've done the same) and have some strings more than 18mm apart but it means others need to be squeezed closer. I am a fan of the Ibanez mono rail bridge though, I prefer having some string spacing adjustability than none but think it's ideal for people that want tighter spacing as there is a limit to making all strings much further apart.

Edited by SumOne

On 28/07/2022 at 22:13, lemmywinks said:

Had decided a while ago to upgrade my current main bass, been liking a more modern 2 x humbucker approach and will be looking to use the opportunity to get something a bit lighter than the 11.6lb Sire I currently use, hopefully around 8lbs. Needs to be a 5 string with 18-19mm spacing.

Had basically set my heart on waiting for a used MTD KZ5 to turn up within grabbing distance and set aside a bit of money for a pickup upgrade (Nordstrand/Barts) at some point, probably around £800ish total spend, however the Ibanez EHB1505 with the Nordstrand Big Splits is currently on sale as a silly price so I've been considering that.

I can remember the Ibanez had a lot of QC issues with these basses, is there any still being shipped like this? Also is the low B just good for a cheaper bass or is it genuinely up there with more expensive stuff? I've always liked Cort factory low Bs but tbh my current Sire does it better than all the 5 string Corts I've owned. It's the standard 34" version of the Ibanez I'm looking at, not the multiscale.

Can you let us know where 1505 is on sale at great price? Thanks