Why become a member? ×

My new MTD

XB26354

Hi all,
Just thought I'd post some pics of my new MTD 635-24.
I recently picked this up used for a great price. It dates from 2003, has a swamp ash body, wenge liner, figured maple top and wenge neck and board. The top looks fantastic, with figured, quilt and spalted elements. Wenge neck grain is amazing too...
Weight is medium - I'd guess around 10lbs.
Tone is to die for!! Seriously the best bass I have ever owned. Tone is quite hard, but tons of woodiness, a ridiculously tight B (Think Warwick Thumb), very even bottom to top. The shape of the body and neck is so comfortable that issues I have had with ergonomics on other basses vanish. String spacing is neither tight like an Ibanez nor wide like a Warwick Streamer but the faster you play (and the better you can play!) the more it rewards you. Chords have a lovely full sound, almost like a classical guitar. I'm mystified what the Buzz Feiten actually does to this bass as the zero fret is perpendicular to the strings - the nut just acts as a string guide.
All in all a wicked bass that shines in any style :)
Cheers
Mat

Fantastic! My favourite basses bar my own and that is exactly the sort I'd want. I have the same wood combo (bar the maple top) on my RIM Custom 5:

I believe the Buzz Feiten system just spaces the nut and frets slightly differently to compensate for the greater change in static tension when you fret in the lower positions, hence everything's still perpendicular. Cunning.

Alex

18mm at the bridge.
Ash and wenge seem to be a great tonal combination. The neck and headstock are really thin and, together with the Hipshot Ultralites, means balance is spot on.
Also it has the first Bartolini PU and electronics I've really liked.
The only bass I would get next is... another MTD (Josh where are you!!).
Luckily this and the Warwick has put my GAS to bed... for now.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='469266' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:34 AM']I believe the Buzz Feiten system just spaces the nut and frets slightly differently to compensate for the greater change in static tension when you fret in the lower positions, hence everything's still perpendicular. Cunning.

Alex[/quote]

Really? I looked on the website and their retrofit kit uses a nut with staggered nut slots. Perhaps when instrument builders build it in they play with the fret/nut measurements.
I must say I like the zero fret - allows a lovely low action with exactly the same camber as the frets...

Cheers! Every time I look at that top on your MTD Josh I get this terrible pang of envy! What's the ash neck like compared to a maple neck. Michael says on his website that it's half way between maple and wenge... never understood all this talk of MTD's being unforgiving of sloppy technique - mine just eats it up whether you play lightly with floating thumb or dig in hard. It's not clinical or particularly active-sounding either. The eq is really powerful and can radically change the tone - and the pan actually pans!

[quote]Cheers! Every time I look at that top on your MTD Josh I get this terrible pang of envy! What's the ash neck like compared to a maple neck. Michael says on his website that it's half way between maple and wenge...[/quote]

I'd say Mikes right about Ash being the in-betweener, it's not as harsh as Wenge and certainly not as smooth (tonewise) as Maple and really just gives the bass a unique cutting tone. The best way to describe the tone would be it is incredibly warm and modern whilst having the guts to stand out in any mix.

[quote]Never understood all this talk of MTD's being unforgiving of sloppy technique - mine just eats it up whether you play lightly with floating thumb or dig in hard.[/quote]

I haven't really heard that myself to be honest, but either way it's helped me refine my technique further, it's stupidly easy to play.

Edited by Josh

Sounds lovely! I read a Bass Player 5-string shootout where the testers mentioned the MTD was quite hard and unforgiving of sloppy technique. Wouldn't know :). Haha, seriously, My experience is like yours - the more you give, the more you get back out. Even though Wenge is the hardest neck wood commonly used I don't find the tone has too much of an edge - perhaps the warmth of the custom wound Barts even things out.

[quote name='XB26354' post='471936' date='Apr 24 2009, 11:02 PM']Sounds lovely! I read a Bass Player 5-string shootout where the testers mentioned the MTD was quite hard and unforgiving of sloppy technique. Wouldn't know :). Haha, seriously, My experience is like yours - the more you give, the more you get back out. Even though Wenge is the hardest neck wood commonly used I don't find the tone has too much of an edge - perhaps the warmth of the custom wound Barts even things out.[/quote]

I'd love to try a wenge necked MTD, I love Warwick's so no doubt the tone would be something else altogether, in a good way of course, it's a shame you don't live to close to here, you'd be more than welcome to come and have a noodle on mine.