Why become a member? ×

P Bass Conspiracy Theories

Rib13Bass

Ill be posting the Answer Key later tonight. This was posted on several messageboards (not to mention folks I know in RL) and Im waiting on responses from a few, including one late addition. 

A few things I found interesting in this experiment:

All the basses got votes, some more than others but nothing was unanimous. 
Some message boards favored answers different than other messageboards. Is this previous-answer influencing? Im not sure

I want to thank everyone that participated and especially for the Subs! Im totally humbled 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 18:27, Linus27 said:

Yep enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. My guesses for which basses were Precision's is 1 and 3 although 4 also sounded very close and to be fair, they all did lol

Woohoo, I guessed right, do I win a prize, a 1957 Fender Precision in Sunburst, a Custom shop Fender Precision to my liking, my very own signature Fender Precision, a years supply of Rotosound bass strings of my choice, a signed Fender Precision pickguard, a night out with Natalie Imbruglia, a year of eating out at Nando's, a packet of wine gums?????

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party but I'll play (I'm posting now before watching the answer video, and will watch the answers straight after).

It's definitely easier for me to guess what isn't a P-bass than what is.

#1 I'd say gets closest to the classic sound I think of as a P-bass tone.

#2 My guess would be something with a single coil. Original single coil P-bass or J-bass with neck pickup soloed maybe. This was me least favourite sounding bass.

#3 is a maybe, I could definitely believe P-bass but I could also believe it was something else doing a good P-bass impression.

#4 I'm not sure about, it could have been a P-bass but I suspect it has a humbucker (as in two coils below each string, I know technically a P-pickup is also a humbucker) of some sort due to having a bit more of a growl. That said I wouldn't be surprised if it was a P-bass with some more modern pickups or with the EQ settings changed around. This was my favourite sound of the lot though.

#5 was most obviously not a P-bass in my opinion. I can't put my finger on what it was, my guess would be Stingray but you said the pickup is in the P-position. Nice sound, but not a P-bass.

Edit: not bad guess work! I was way off with #2 though, I'm quite surprised by that! 

Edited by Tait
  • Like 1