Why become a member? ×

Sennheiser FreePort receiver - how to mount

Bassmonkey

Help, I wanna mount my FreePort receiver. It is the EM1-M model so is like a sealed box with no pre-drilled connection points however has 4 nuts built in to the bottom. I am assuming that this is to allow me to screw through and mount from below. Problem is the required Bolts are a peculier size, can't seem to get em. I have tried Sennheiser to no avail.
Anyone else done this? OR ideas for where I might get suitable bolts? (I actually live really close to a place called "Bolt and Nut Supplies" guess what? "Sorry mate, non standard sizes, can't help ya!!!!" - DOH) Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='464175' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:24 PM']Help, I wanna mount my FreePort receiver. It is the EM1-M model so is like a sealed box with no pre-drilled connection points however has 4 nuts built in to the bottom. I am assuming that this is to allow me to screw through and mount from below. Problem is the required Bolts are a peculier size, can't seem to get em. I have tried Sennheiser to no avail.
Anyone else done this? OR ideas for where I might get suitable bolts? (I actually live really close to a place called "Bolt and Nut Supplies" guess what? "Sorry mate, non standard sizes, can't help ya!!!!" - DOH) Andy[/quote]

Hi Andy

We don't do a dedicated mount for freeport as it's a 'sit on' only unit. I believe there are rack mounts available from other places such as Adam Hall, CPC, Maplins....

[quote name='crez5150' post='464187' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:36 PM']Hi Andy

We don't do a dedicated mount for freeport as it's a 'sit on' only unit. I believe there are rack mounts available from other places such as Adam Hall, CPC, Maplins....[/quote]

Thanks for the speedy response. Do you know if the mounting kits that are available fit the FreePort by any chance?
I just wanna rack with my tuner and the necessary power sources and leads. Nice and neat eh?
Cheers
Andy

The GA2 kit should do it... though you cannot front mount the antenna's obviously as they are fixed on the freeport system. Give Ian a shout at Mercury AV - 0845 9000 805. He's a good dealer and will have a better idea than me on what other rackmounts are available.

Jay

When I mounted mine, I bought a generic rack shelf like this one, but a 1U version:

[attachment=23961:1ushelf.jpg]

I sat the receiver on top of it, and used a cunning combination of cable ties and electrical tape through the vent holes to hold it in place. It's sat happily in the top of my rack for 3 years and never once thought about coming loose. It also gives you a handy place to anchor cable ties etc to keep the back of your rack tidy, or a space to stick a DI box or other gadgets that take your fancy.

Mike

[quote name='mike257' post='465149' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:40 PM']When I mounted mine, I bought a generic rack shelf like this one, but a 1U version:

I sat the receiver on top of it, and used a cunning combination of cable ties and electrical tape through the vent holes to hold it in place. It's sat happily in the top of my rack for 3 years and never once thought about coming loose. It also gives you a handy place to anchor cable ties etc to keep the back of your rack tidy, or a space to stick a DI box or other gadgets that take your fancy.

Mike[/quote]

Cheers both. Great advice. Have bought the Sennheiser mounting kit (Amazon and had some vouchers too so cheap and cheerful) Hopefully will do the trick. Gotta stop buying gear now though or my wife will kill me !!
A

[quote name='mike257' post='465149' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:40 PM']When I mounted mine, I bought a generic rack shelf like this one, but a 1U version:

Mike[/quote]

You can always use adhesive backed velcro from maplins for mounting lighter items

The rack mount kit doesn't fit. I bought one for a GW100(?)

To rack my freeports, I used a 1U shallow shelf (http://www.studiospares.com/Racktrays/Racktray-1U-441X150mm/invt/408890) and some heavy duty velcro. You have to take the 4 feet off first. The rack gets a lot of movement, but the receiver has stayed tight.

Incidentally, 2 receivers will fit side-by-side on 1 shelf.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='468850' date='Apr 21 2009, 05:50 PM']The rack mount kit doesn't fit. I bought one for a GW100(?)

To rack my freeports, I used a 1U shallow shelf (http://www.studiospares.com/Racktrays/Racktray-1U-441X150mm/invt/408890) and some heavy duty velcro. You have to take the 4 feet off first. The rack gets a lot of movement, but the receiver has stayed tight.

Incidentally, 2 receivers will fit side-by-side on 1 shelf.[/quote]

Yeah just got it today and it doesn't bloody fit. There are nuts underneath the unit to screw in to but it looks like the GA2 needs screwing through the sides and of course the receiver I have has no holes to screw in to.
Not good. A waste of £30. Looks like the shelf is the best option. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='476843' date='May 1 2009, 11:29 AM']SOOOO.....after buying the mounting kit from Sennheiser which didnt fit, I took your advice and invested in velcro. Guess what? fits a treat now. Is perfect.
Thanks again for the advice. Another victory for the forum.
Andy[/quote]

I did say we didn't do a dedicated kit for it...... doh!