Why become a member? ×

Tokai AJB-118 (and other newer Tokai)

thedontcarebear

I weighed this, it’s just over 8lbs, and my intentions were to put it up for sale.

But I just can’t!  Look at it!  And it plays nicer than anything else too.

So I thought I’d stick a picture of it on here.

Anyone else got any “modern” Tokai?  I’ve owned loads of the basses and guitars over the years, regret selling a few, but this one is awesome.  Plus look at that burst, now I know why I stared at the pictures of it online for ages before I got it a few years back.

E407B85D-C085-4A68-91BB-01FCB2E20C10.jpeg

Edited by thedontcarebear
  • Like 5

• thedontcarebear changed the title to Tokai AJB-118 (and other newer Tokai)

I haven't played any of their basses, but I own an ES-60 guitar of theirs and it's lovely. It's an ES-335 copy in a cherry red finish. I guess it's about 15 years old and made in Korea. I got it used for a mere €250, and it had some cool mods that I like a lot (even though I can't tell if they were necessary, because it didn't come with the original parts): Schaller vintage style tuners, bone nut, custom low-output Four Seasons pickups and a GFS Surf 90 neck pickup - that unfortunately didn't work well with the bridge humbucker, and gave a huge ground hum when combining the two. I have a set of Gibson Burstbuckers #1 and #2 in it now with CTS pots, and it nails all the classic Gibson ES tones. I love it! 

Like Lefty J, I don't have a bass but also have a 335 copy, one of the Japanese ones. It's perfect, to be honest, and I've never felt the need to change anything on it over the last 13 years of owning it. It's probably my most used guitar in standard tuning.

I have a 2000-ish (so modern-ish) MIJ Talbo bass, a reissue of the 80s aluminium oddity.

talbofupscale.thumb.jpg.060963a62517605532495682a5fe7845.jpg

It's an amazing-looking & nice playing thing but the hollow metal body makes it quite resonant and microphonic, making it very prone to feedback in my last noisy rock band, meaning it didn't get out too often.

• Like 1