Why become a member? ×

Replace an Endpin

steviedee

I need to replace an Endpin in my spare bass. I’m going to have to visit a luthier to reset the sound post so they could also fit the endpin. But I thought I might just buy all the parts …. Is there a standard size and does anyone have any Endpin recommendations? It’s a Romanian Michael Poller bass.

cheers!

Edited by steviedee

In my experience, nothing to do with double bass has a standard size😁. The most common steel endpin sizes are 8mm and 10mm, but it's the diameter of the pear that determines the fit.

If you just want a new endpin to fit your current pear, just measure the diameter of your current endpin and buy one the same size.

Replacing the endpin + pear involves a bit more effort. The pear on the endpin is tapered, so it's usually just a case of finding a best/least worst fit. Pears can be sanded down to fit, or endblocks can be reamed out to fit large pears.

Luthiers usually have a box full of random endpins/pears, one of which will probably fit well, unless you're looking for a new or specific type of endpin.

In that case, measure the minimum and maximum diameters of your current pear (assuming it's the correct fit) and then ask the shop you're buying the new endpin from to diameters on the pear/endpin you want to buy.

• Like 1

The pear is the tapered wooden bit that the endpin slides through.

If you look at this listing for a Gewa endpin:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gewa_double_bass_endpin_29_32mm.htm

It gives the specification for the pear:

'Cone: 29 / 32 mm'

So thats the minimum/maximum diameter of the tapered bit of the pear that sits in the hole on the bottom of your bass.

If you measure the diameters of the tapered section on your current pear, you should be able to find one that's slightly bigger and a better fit.

• Like 1

If the hole in your bottom block has gone slightly out of round, the luthier will use a tapered reamer to bring it back to the correct shape before fitting the new pear - this might render a replacement unusable or make the fitting job more time consuming if you have jumped the gun and bought something that isn't quite right. Probably best to actually talk to your luthier before ordering parts.

• Like 1

Had mine fitted at bass bags.  Seems to have been quite a lot of work as the block and the pear needed reshaping.  I'd get someone else to do it; however, the £90 end pin was soon £180 once it was fitted .. and I'd been in the shop and thought "oh, new rosin, useful non slip thingy to go on the floor .... etc".

• Like 1