Why become a member? ×

Ampeg svt 7 pro

Smiles

Have you read the 7 Pro mega thread on TB?

As far as I know, they are on H - -revision on the board. As long as you get one of those, you’re good.

I bought mine at the beginning of the pandemic, and has therefore seen relatively infrequent use, but I’ve been extremely happy with it.  Mine has only ever seen an 8 ohm load, and it hasn’t missed a beat. Sounds absolutely great (if you like the Ampeg thing, which I do), and has volume and slam to spare.

Mine arrived in a Yamaha branded box. Yamaha own Ampeg now, and they don’t put out gear that breaks down all the time.

Edited by Jazzjames

I was very tempted to buy one of these after trying the PF800 and recent owner of the V4B ( now sold )

Instead I purchased the GK Legacy 800 from Polar Audio on EBay ( £549 ) and it’s a really nice and powerful amp

Edited by BassAdder27

I had a SVT-7. Always loved the sound and power, but it crapped out in the middle of the first song on a gig and I've been soured on them ever since. 

I'd love to get another one, but I just simply don't trust them anymore. I'd love to be convinced otherwise. 

26 minutes ago, Russ said:

I had a SVT-7. Always loved the sound and power, but it crapped out in the middle of the first song on a gig and I've been soured on them ever since. 

I'd love to get another one, but I just simply don't trust them anymore. I'd love to be convinced otherwise. 

That’s what stopped me buying one plus the re-sale value when it comes to move it on 

52 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

That’s what stopped me buying one plus the re-sale value when it comes to move it on 

I've had an Ashdown Rootmaster RM-800, a Mesa Subway WD-800 and, most recently, a Trace Elliot TE-1200 since the Ampeg (still have the Mesa and the Trace), and they've all been great-sounding and bulletproof.

These types of high-power Class D amps have no inherent flaws that makes them unreliable, I just think Ampeg messed up with the SVT-7. Still, I'm not likely to be buying another Ampeg anytime soon. 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 21:41, Jazzjames said:

Have you read the 7 Pro mega thread on TB?

As far as I know, they are on H - -revision on the board. As long as you get one of those, you’re good.

I bought mine at the beginning of the pandemic, and has therefore seen relatively infrequent use, but I’ve been extremely happy with it.  Mine has only ever seen an 8 ohm load, and it hasn’t missed a beat. Sounds absolutely great (if you like the Ampeg thing, which I do), and has volume and slam to spare.

Mine arrived in a Yamaha branded box. Yamaha own Ampeg now, and they don’t put out gear that breaks down all the time.

Thanks JazzJames really appreciate the reply 

11 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I was very tempted to buy one of these after trying the PF800 and recent owner of the V4B ( now sold )

Instead I purchased the GK Legacy 800 from Polar Audio on EBay ( £549 ) and it’s a really nice and powerful amp

Appreciate the info thanks 👍

5 hours ago, Russ said:

Thanks Russ 

3 hours ago, Russ said:

I've had an Ashdown Rootmaster RM-800, a Mesa Subway WD-800 and, most recently, a Trace Elliot TE-1200 since the Ampeg (still have the Mesa and the Trace), and they've all been great-sounding and bulletproof.

These types of high-power Class D amps have no inherent flaws that makes them unreliable, I just think Ampeg messed up with the SVT-7. Still, I'm not likely to be buying another Ampeg anytime soon. 

How did you like the Ashdown rm 800 ? that’s another amp that’s caught my eye recently 

20 hours ago, Smiles said:

How did you like the Ashdown rm 800 ? that’s another amp that’s caught my eye recently 

Nice amp. Gobs of power, versatile EQ and some nice extras. You've got to be into the "Ashdown sound" to appreciate it properly though. It's got that hint of "wooliness" that most Ashdown amps have, a bit soft around the edges.

I decided I wanted something a little more modern sounding, so I replaced it with the Mesa, which does the slightly squishy, valve-y sound (since it has a valve in the preamp) but can also do punch and bite.

I'll always recommend Ashdown stuff though, fantastic gear, and their support is excellent. 

42 minutes ago, Russ said:

Nice amp. Gobs of power, versatile EQ and some nice extras. You've got to be into the "Ashdown sound" to appreciate it properly though. It's got that hint of "wooliness" that most Ashdown amps have, a bit soft around the edges.

I decided I wanted something a little more modern sounding, so I replaced it with the Mesa, which does the slightly squishy, valve-y sound (since it has a valve in the preamp) but can also do punch and bite.

I'll always recommend Ashdown stuff though, fantastic gear, and their support is excellent. 

Yep I’ve used the Ashdown ABM 600 evo iv for the last few years and it’s a lovely sounding amp which I would certainly keep hold off but quite fancy a class d for portability so that’s why I’ve been enquiring about the Ampeg 7 pro as I use Ampeg cabs and just love the thump , but certainly interested in the Ashdowm rm 800 evo ii 

thanks again 

stu 

1 minute ago, Smiles said:

Yep I’ve used the Ashdown ABM 600 evo iv for the last few years and it’s a lovely sounding amp which I would certainly keep hold off but quite fancy a class d for portability so that’s why I’ve been enquiring about the Ampeg 7 pro as I use Ampeg cabs and just love the thump , but certainly interested in the Ashdowm rm 800 evo ii 

thanks again 

stu 

I owned the RM800 as a backup to my ABM600 

Its a great amp although lacks the EQ adjustment of the ABM

However it’s still a great amp 

I would of loved the SVT7 Pro as deep down I love Ampeg gear but with shut down issues on a few of their class D amps I wasn’t prepared to be let down.

As I’ve said the GK Legacy and Fusion 800 are very nice amps too and they are built in the USA still 

Yes the RM amps are good to have as backups to the ABM 600, tho agree they do lack the overall flexibility- not a criticism, 5 band re 9 band just won’t offer as much. But they’re good amps, I have the 500 EVO2 and wouldn’t be without it.

20 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes the RM amps are good to have as backups to the ABM 600, tho agree they do lack the overall flexibility- not a criticism, 5 band re 9 band just won’t offer as much. But they’re good amps, I have the 500 EVO2 and wouldn’t be without it.

Thanks Lozz yep that’s one of things I like about the abm’s is they have a great eq section , I think if the rm’s had the same I would have snapped one up by now , that’s one of the concerns about the pro 7 as the eq section seems quite limited but then again it may just sound great straight of the bat , I need to try a few out if possible 

21 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I owned the RM800 as a backup to my ABM600 

Its a great amp although lacks the EQ adjustment of the ABM

However it’s still a great amp 

I would of loved the SVT7 Pro as deep down I love Ampeg gear but with shut down issues on a few of their class D amps I wasn’t prepared to be let down.

As I’ve said the GK Legacy and Fusion 800 are very nice amps too and they are built in the USA still 

Thanks BassAdder again appreciate your useful info , yep love the eq section of the ABM but definitely hankering after a class d as a spare or main amp , I’ve no doubt the GK’s are great amps so need to try some gear out 👍

On 15/07/2022 at 17:47, Smiles said:

thanks again 

stu 

The SVT-7 Pro is a big boy for class D. It’s not heavy, but it’s bigger than most other class D heads. see photo. I transport mine in an ABS case and it’s probably 10kg cased. An easy one hand carry but if I need to take something in the back pack or in the bass case, my Quilter BB800 is much more portable.

Regarding EQ, the EQ is actually very versatile and the ultra low and ultra hi switches mean that you can drastically alter your sound from classic SVT sounds to modern fast hitting sounds in a second.  I leave the Ultra Lo engaged 100% of the time, because it just sounds right that way. The compressor works super well, too. Tonally it’s just perfect for me, and the transformer tube DI sounds a lot beefier than the DI of my Aguilar TH500 did. The Aguilar wasn’t bad in isolation, but the Ampeg’s DI sounds fantastic. I use it pre EQ if sending to engineer and using a speaker, or post EQ if using IEMs.

F55EDABF-8685-457B-A1DE-CBCD50FA8B19.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jazzjames said:

The SVT-7 Pro is a big boy for class D. It’s not heavy, but it’s bigger than most other class D heads. see photo. I transport mine in an ABS case and it’s probably 10kg cased. An easy one hand carry but if I need to take something in the back pack or in the bass case, my Quilter BB800 is much more portable.

Regarding EQ, the EQ is actually very versatile and the ultra low and ultra hi switches mean that you can drastically alter your sound from classic SVT sounds to modern fast hitting sounds in a second.  I leave the Ultra Lo engaged 100% of the time, because it just sounds right that way. The compressor works super well, too. Tonally it’s just perfect for me, and the transformer tube DI sounds a lot beefier than the DI of my Aguilar TH500 did. The Aguilar wasn’t bad in isolation, but the Ampeg’s DI sounds fantastic. I use it pre EQ if sending to engineer and using a speaker, or post EQ if using IEMs.

F55EDABF-8685-457B-A1DE-CBCD50FA8B19.jpeg

That’s all great info JazzJames really appreciate that thank you  , the 7pro is still definitely top of my list and I’m highly likely to make the purchase in the next few months , ideally I’ll get to try one first but no one has any in stock at the moment due mainly to the currant global supply problems I think 

best regards 

stu 

I had a 7 pro, on paper it was everything I was looking for - that classic ampeg sound.

However, no matte r how I tried I just could not get it to sound anything like an ampeg. Weird as most seem to think its spot on, but mine was nothing like one. It was quite soft with hardly any grit or drive available.

I have the 7 Pro and it replaced my SVT Pro 3.  No issues in the few months I've had mine from new.  It is very much the same DNA as the Pro 3 and sounds similar in my opinion.  I also have the VB4 which is very different again, but all 3 share the fundamental Ampeg sound.

I have had a Mesa Subway D800+, Aguilar Tone Hamm er and a GK MB800 Fusion, but prefer the 7 Pro on sound.  Downside for me is that its footprint it big and heavy for a class d.

4 hours ago, la bam said:

I had a 7 pro, on paper it was everything I was looking for - that classic ampeg sound.

However, no matte r how I tried I just could not get it to sound anything like an ampeg. Weird as most seem to think its spot on, but mine was nothing like one. It was quite soft with hardly any grit or drive available.

That's pretty much the opposite of my experience with one. I found it hard to dial down the grit, it was always there to one degree or another. It's a great sound - it's that Ampeg sound - but sometimes I thought it would have been nice to have the ability to go a bit cleaner for some stuff.