Why become a member? ×

Mars Volta

odub

I manipulate other peoples instruments, it’s what I do.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='463950' date='Apr 16 2009, 02:12 PM']I know, in listening to it to figure it out, you've (yes, I'm blaming it all on you odub) made me decide to switch my fretless neck to my Darkstar Precision and make my Jazz fretted.

You!!!

PS. Sorry for that badly formed sentence![/quote]

A quick edit to say, this song proves without a shadow of a doubt that no matter how good the song is, there is NEVER space for 3 minutes on unlistenable self indulgent twonk on the end.

Edited by odub

hi,

I used a 1971 Fender Fretless with a jazz pickup installed. If you go to www.bassplayer.com, the article has info on that bass. The only pedal I used on that track, and have used on almost all my recordings, is a Boss compressor that has three knobs (the two knob and 4 knob do not sound good to me). It helps bring out harmonics and with the fretless, it makes it a lot more compressed (obviously) and mid-range-e.

Hope that helps,

Juan

[quote name='jacojacojaco' post='464182' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:31 PM']hi,

I used a 1971 Fender Fretless with a jazz pickup installed. If you go to www.bassplayer.com, the article has info on that bass. The only pedal I used on that track, and have used on almost all my recordings, is a Boss compressor that has three knobs (the two knob and 4 knob do not sound good to me). It helps bring out harmonics and with the fretless, it makes it a lot more compressed (obviously) and mid-range-e.

Hope that helps,

Juan[/quote]

Crikey!

Big respect to you Juan, your playing has always made me think "wow!" from Racer X to the Mars Volta. Keep it up!

[quote name='odub' post='464724' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:50 AM']I'm just amazed, and really ashamed at my comment about the bit at the end.

Juan you're one of my favorite ever players, thanks so much for replying to me directly.[/quote]

Ho ho
You may want to keep an eye on your audiences for a while, odub.....

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='jacojacojaco' post='464182' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:31 PM']hi,

Hope that helps,

Juan[/quote]

WOW! Hello Juan. I saw you play in Birmingham with Mars Volta and it was honestly amazing. I was staring at you almost the whole time, I love the way you have a little corner set-up for yourself!

I've read that article a few times, great stuff.

Hey Juan :)

Will you be doing this anytime soon again?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0[/url]

:rolleyes:

[s]Do you still have that Jazz bass by the way?[/s] (oops sorry checked your wiki, you sold it on ebay for charity never mind!) I could tell there was a good tone there even though the recording wasent great. Care to give me any insight as to what you were using in those early days?

Cheers mate!

Rob.