Why become a member? ×

The Wal that’s in the Band Aid video… up for sale…

TrevorR

On 04/07/2022 at 21:53, Chris2112 said:

I would expect a discount given that it may have been the bass used to inflict that awful Christmas song on us but even so, the price is steep. I'm wondering if his roof hasn't fallen in. 

He might also be reaching a stage in his life where he doesn't want to be burdened with material possessions that no longer bring joy or satisfaction. Or he might just need to free up some space. 

If it was my bass I would be looking to get that kind of money for it if I could. And I wouldn't be feeding any Ethiopians with the proceeds, either. Let's face it, the way prices are going up in the shops at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if musicians in Ethiopia record a song for charity to help people in the UK get adequate nutrition.

Edited by Misdee

On 02/07/2022 at 01:54, Misdee said:

That finish was achieved by chemically treating the wood ( sycamore or maple). Over time it turned out that the finish discolours. A lot of the lighter stains like the one on the bass Martin Kemp used at Live Aid have taken on a greenish tinge. ( Last I heard that bass belonged to Iggy Pop's bass player back in the early 1990s).

Yes, some Wal colors have definitely shifted with age. I had a maple Mk1 that in photos was a very dark purple color when new, and years later by the time I got it it had faded to battleship gray color, but you could still see darker in some edges.

As for Martin, the old Mk1 is back in his possession and he's been playing it on stage in recent years.

I remember seeing it come up for sale back around 2010/2011 timeframe, it had been converted to lined fretless but still have the dove inlay at the 1st marker and the thumb rest in that unusual position. I don't know who bought it then, but seems around 2018-ish it finally made it back to Martin and back to having frets. 

On 06/07/2022 at 16:31, Misdee said:

He might also be reaching a stage in his life where he doesn't want to be burdened with material possessions that no longer bring joy or satisfaction. Or he might just need to free up some space. 

If it was my bass I would be looking to get that kind of money for it if I could. And I wouldn't be feeding any Ethiopians with the proceeds, either. Let's face it, the way prices are going up in the shops at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if musicians in Ethiopia record a song for charity to help people in the UK get adequate nutrition.

Quite. I like Wal basses but I've never played one that was worth their asking price (to me). I don't decry him at all for trying to sling the nasty pasty, might as well take the cash out of some rich doctor or architect's pocket and enjoy it. Clearly it wasn't 'the one' for him as he's been playing his Status basses for years. Given their light weight, superior ergonomic form and tone, that doesn't surprise me. 

I may have mentioned earlier here or on Facebook that a friend of mine once sent me an advert for a Nissan Micra being sold by a member of Status Quo. I had mistakenly thought that it was Rhino selling it but a review of my records showed it was actually John Coghlan.