Why become a member? ×

Ya aaaaaaaaaalright like?

beardybass

Afternoon/ evening/ mornin'

I'm new to the forum, been playing bass for about 8 years ish. I studied at Newcastle college of music then decided to try something new, so I buggered off to Japan, whichis where I am now.

Back home I played mainly upright, a cheapo stentor guy, but also a six string yamaha a four string peavey and a fretless six string that I had made for me by a guy in Newcastle.

Over here I've got a japanese fender jazz (which is awesome by the way, if anyone is considering one, I say do it!) and an Aria electric upright bassy-thingy.

Interestingly enough, I bought a 100watt Laney amp over here, and it cost me less than the 60 watt one I bought back in the U.K. which is of course where the company is from! What's that all about!!

Anyhoo.... Hello

Dan

Hi Dan

I'm the guy that built your 6 string fretless - anybody in Japan copied it yet?

The design was so good people said I should patent it and when I mentioned it you said you wanted it patented white - so I did.

Just a thought - if four other guys called Dan moved to Japan before you, you could be a fifth Dan without even taking up Judo.

Enjoy yourself over there and keep in touch via this wonderful forum

Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

Good to hear from you Howard, how you been? I couldn't bring the sixth string over, so it's bein' looked after by my Dad back in Durham! I spoke to him today, says he's been playin' it a lot! That's a great bass mate! You should be well chuffed with that, I really miss it actually, makes me feel good to have the first one like!

As for the playin' side of things, I've done a couple of gigs over here, a lot of jazz goin' on, people are all about the live jazz in Japan like! But no, I'm not playing professionally, I'm actually working at a private English conversation school, planning to head back to the U.K. in a few months to get back to playing.

I thought I wanted to take a break from studying and playing music, turns out, nope, I didn't want that at all!

I thought this forum would be a good way to keep in touch with the back home bass community.

If anyone has any Japan or Japanese related questions, gimme a bell!

:rolleyes:

Good to know you've still got the 6-string even if it's not out there with you.

The shop ain't there anymore - I had a minor heart attack a year and a half ago and am now semi-retired but once you come back to the UK you can still keep in touch as I have a little workshop out west in Throckley and would be happy to give the 6 a service as and when required.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='463099' date='Apr 15 2009, 03:52 PM']Good to know you've still got the 6-string even if it's not out there with you.

The shop ain't there anymore - I had a minor heart attack a year and a half ago and am now semi-retired but once you come back to the UK you can still keep in touch as I have a little workshop out west in Throckley and would be happy to give the 6 a service as and when required.[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm glad you got over it though. Real shame the shop's not there anymore, that was a great little place, you had all sorts of cool stuff in there! Good to know you've still got something going on, I'll definitely want to get it road worthy again when I get back!

[quote name='metaltime' post='463174' date='Apr 15 2009, 05:13 PM']alright sir.

Dan is a legend and an epic player good to have you on board even though you are an arse :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Cheers for that clown shoes, I'm struggling with my photo though, it won't let me change it! I notice most people seem to have more than one photo, so I think I'm missing something!! How do you do it!

(by the way, to anyone reading this, me and Andrew have been best friends since we were kids, we're not just hurling random weird abuse at each other)