Why become a member? ×

Does this practice tool exist?

Basically I want a basic interface (ideally on my PC rather than on a phone) where I can lay out a chord sequence, have it loop with a basic accompaniment, then maybe modulate it (e.g. ii-V-I starting in C then moving through the circle of fifths). I just want to play over some basic chords without getting bogged down trying to play or program it in Reaper.

Hopefully someone's already done this so I don't have to go build it myself...

IRealPro will do this to a certain extent, but you’ll still need an interface. 

It’s main purpose is as an interactive Real Book (Jazz standards), but there are loads of free pop libraries if you Google it, I think it’s got a preset II-V-I (major and minor) loop with it as a default. It’ll do tempo and key changes on the fly too.

• Like 2

Band in a box?

Type the chords you want onto a stave, and it will make you a backing track in the style you want, with the instruments you want, and a score if you want to practice reading the dots. 

Software, designed for a PC, so would still need a sound card or outboard D to A convertor.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

IRealPro will do this to a certain extent, but you’ll still need an interface. 

It’s main purpose is as an interactive Real Book (Jazz standards), but there are loads of free pop libraries if you Google it, I think it’s got a preset II-V-I (major and minor) loop with it as a default. It’ll do tempo and key changes on the fly too.

+1 for iRealPro

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Richard R said:

@velvetkevorkian- which did you pick and how have you got on?

I paid the ~£12 for iRealPro on Android -- typically, I've not managed to spend much time with it but it seems to cover the basics. The UI (on a smallish phone at least) is a bit clunky.

I've not tried Chordpulse yet though, might give the trial version a shot.