Why become a member? ×

Function band(s)

Count Bassy

I was at my cousin's wedding last weekend and they had a function band on in the evening.

Very polished, everything arranged to the nth degree, obviously some very talented musicians. But,...........

........................ my God was it dull!

And you felt that if you saw them again it would be exaclty the same again.

Pre Covid, the band I was in played some function gigs but mainly clubs and pubs. I enjoyed the mix of setlists and I liked the challenge that a wedding or corporate event of functions but for me, the best gigs (i.e. the ones I enjoyed the most) were the pubs. I have every respect for the discipline required by a good function band but at my level of playing, I concentrate so much on getting my parts right that any performance often takes second place. Our pub gigs are rougher around the edges but much more fun for all. If the band is having a good time, it shows in the performance and the audience will pick up on it. 

As part of the audience, I always enjoy a band who are clearly having a good time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Pre Covid, the band I was in played some function gigs but mainly clubs and pubs. I enjoyed the mix of setlists and I liked the challenge that a wedding or corporate event of functions but for me, the best gigs (i.e. the ones I enjoyed the most) were the pubs. I have every respect for the discipline required by a good function band but at my level of playing, I concentrate so much on getting my parts right that any performance often takes second place. Our pub gigs are rougher around the edges but much more fun for all. If the band is having a good time, it shows in the performance and the audience will pick up on it. 

As part of the audience, I always enjoy a band who are clearly having a good time. 

Aprt from the playing in a function band bit (I never have), you summarise my position better than I could. Live performance (in a rock band at least) should have a bit of spark to it.

• Like 1

Maybe there's hope for us rank amateur pub bands then - playing Ace of Spades with it being the aural equivalent of a rail cart on two wheels going round a bend. Was it polished? Not at all. Was it fun? Hell yeah :D

• Like 3