Why become a member? ×

Experience counting for nothing

Guest MoJo

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='461796' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:28 AM']Big hollow stages don't help, either - Too much boom. Wherever possible, make sure your cab/combo is making good contact with the floor, ie. not on an amp stand or on wheels.[/quote]

The previous time we played at this venue, I had my cab on the wooden staging and was playing purely off backline. Speaking to another bass player at half time, he said my sound was too hollow and suggested I boosted the mids. It's been years since I've done the 'smiley-mouth' thing with my EQ, prefering to boost the mids slightly. I put it down to the stage introducing extra low end. This time we played, I put my combo on a chair and seemed to lose a lot of the bottom end (too much in fact) :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='461796' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:28 AM']Big hollow stages don't help, either - Too much boom. Wherever possible, make sure your cab/combo is making good contact with the floor, ie. not on an amp stand or on wheels.[/quote]
If you allow your cab to acoustically couple with a hollow stage, the stage can act like a resonance chamber which is what causes the extra boominess. By isolating the cab from the hollow stage, you can control the lows a lot better with the benefit that your sound can have more focus.

Also, if your cab is rear ported then by putting it up against a wall, it also helps reduce boom.

[quote name='The Funk' post='461845' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:31 AM']Do you get a sound you're happy with at home or in rehearsal?[/quote]

At home at lower volumes, yes
At rehearsal through their gear, usually no, except once when I played through one of Jim Lea's old bass heads into a Marshall cabinet with 1 x 15 and 2 x 8

[quote name='The Funk' post='461968' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:58 AM']I think you need to start taking your amp to rehearsals with you so that you can see how well your bedroom sound works with the rest of the band. You can fine tune it there to sit well - and when you gig you can fine tune that to adjust for the room/stage.[/quote]

I think you could well be right. I'll have to start digging it out every Monday

[quote name='bassman2790' post='461762' date='Apr 14 2009, 06:52 AM']OG...you've topped me in 'Name-Dropping' Top Trumps :D ;) :lol:

That'd be something though. Even if you never rang him, just to have his number in your phone like Batman, to call upon in times of trouble ;)

I very much doubt that he'd drive all the way to the midlands to help a poor wretch like me :lol: and it might not be the best idea. If he sounded good with my gear when I can't get a decent sound out of it, the demoralisation could cause me to give up playing altogether. :)[/quote]

ha ha
Sorry, i just know a man who knows a man ...
I had no idea who he was at first. He did a few house band gigs i was at, playing a Kramer Ali neck, and old TE head and a Vox 18 (or maybe a 15) speaker - all of it, including Burke, looked like it had a good time in the 60's ....
Someone filled me in with the details and now I know :rolleyes: I also have a Budgie gretest hits CD ..
Nice guy, very unassuming and I'm sure if you paid him for the gig and expenses he'd probably consider it.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='461861' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:44 AM']If you allow your cab to acoustically couple with a hollow stage, the stage can act like a resonance chamber which is what causes the extra boominess. By isolating the cab from the hollow stage, you can control the lows a lot better with the benefit that your sound can have more focus.[/quote]

This is what the Gramma Pad does

I used to run a 122H and was never entirely happy with the sound I got, but it was better when a 15 went underneath on occasion..

Then I got the Bass Pod and ran that straight to the PA.

Finally added the MarkBass combo to the mix, plus the Epifani a little later that has added a bit of depth to the overall sound, and left me with a rig plenty loud enough for most pub gigs backed up with the BOD through the PA to allow a bit of variation (though I only really use 4 patches max).

The MB is run pretty much flat and for me it's all in the pick :) (3mm big Stubby) 'cos my picking hand is messed up and fingers get on top of each other.

For a while I ran the BOD into the effect in on the 122H.

I should have thought a 15 rather than more 10's would help with depth

[quote name='bassman2790' post='461661' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:30 PM']It'd be interesting to hear another player through my rig to see if it was me. I have experimented with different techniques over the years and tried playing in different positions. I think that the clinical cleanliness of the Trace may just be too clean for me.[/quote]

Mark, That can be arranged if you want me to pop round.
By the way, I thought your bass sound was very nice at The Mitre.

:)

[quote name='basswesty' post='463637' date='Apr 16 2009, 08:32 AM']Mark, That can be arranged if you want me to pop round.
By the way, I thought your bass sound was very nice at The Mitre.

:)[/quote]

I was quite happy with it at the Mitre. Maybe it's just the stage at the Haygate is like a Bermuda triangle for bass tone. Still may take you up on that offer Craig

[quote name='Shonks' post='463764' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:11 AM']I've been playin a long time - and all my basses sound wicked in all situations!!
Now isnt that annoying!!! :D[/quote]

Very :rolleyes:

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='The Funk' post='461683' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:50 PM']Could you describe the sound you're after? I'm very happy with my sound but it took a long time to get here.[/quote]

I've found a perfect example....Coheed and Cambria's 'The Running Free'

I have [the remains of] a 122HSMX. I say "remains" because I took the head out, built a new sleeve for the "head" and cut the extraneous woodwork off of the 2x10" "cabinet" that was left. Why? to broaden my choices of cabs etc. I also own a 1153 and a 1048h to use either separately or in pairs (as they're all 8ohm cabs, and the amp'll go down to 4ohms)
Do be aware that the 2103h has a bigger "cabinet" section than the H122SMX. Adding a 2103h will (arguably) give better results than the 1153, certainly in terms of power handling.
The addition of a 1048/h is better still, but it's a big (and heavy) old boy.
I definitely advocate the addition of casters to the bottom cab in any case!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='461811' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:56 AM']I think adding either cab will make a big difference but can't say which will work better.
Alex[/quote]

To add fuel to the fire, a 2103H has appeared on eBay.....do I...don't I?