Why become a member? ×

Cat's Whiskers Pickups (opinions)

glassmoon

1 hour ago, Owen said:

He has done several pickups for me. He is always open to tweaking stuff. Making pickups is not rocket science. Stuff from overseas is not inherently better.  

So you'd put up with the likes of Bartolini and Duncan? Perhaps just under?

• 10 months later...

Ok, I know this is a little old but just in case anyone looks in the future.

I had a jazz bass which I felt had a volume drop on the A & D strings. I also wasn't sold on it's tone as compared to my other basses it was a little weak. I spoke to Alan, told him that I normally use P-basses and wanted the Jazz to keep up with them but have it's own tone and about the issue with the middle strings. He asked a few questions then made a custom set for me with raised A & D poles. Apart from them now being too loud in the middle it was perfect. I told him this and he took the pickups back and reset the pole height perfectly (Free of charge). The tone is amazing, I've never had a jazz with a bridge pickup that I felt I could use on it's own. 

Alan is a very easy guy to talk to and very open to doing what you need. My advice, tell him what you have, what you don't like about it and where you want to be and he'll do the rest. For the price, I haven't found anything close. Am actually thinking on another set for an incoming bass. 

• Like 2