Why become a member? ×

Valve Watts

Little Dragon

8 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I now use a Handbox WB100 into a Barefaced Big Twin Gen 3. It's loud. MUCH louder than my 600W amps were. I also use high and low pass filters to really squeeze out the frequencies I want.

That’s a nice setup 👍, can I ask what high and low pass filters you use 

• 5 months later...

Old thread resurrection.

I’ve been offered a 70’s Bassman 50, no price agreed yet, but it’s a mate, and not advertised elsewhere.

Some of you talked about the lack of headroom on these for bass. Yesterday I dropped a couple of other valve amps off with Martin Garton (Gartone) for service and got talking to him about the bassman. He used to play bass in a band called Cold Shot (SRV tribute), I used to go and see them 25 or 30 years ago and they were LOUD, and he told me he ran a Bassman 50 in that band with his 1960 Precision bass. However, he had modded/tweaked it for more headroom. He’s offered to do the mods on mine when I get it. 

So, watch this space! I’ll find out what the mods are too hopefully and mark up a schematic/layout with the details.

Rob

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I've owned two Bassman 50 heads. One was horrible into it's matching 2x12 cabinet. It lasted a weekend before I returned it. The second worked fairly well into a Marshall 4x12 but the cabinet had to be rewired to make it 4Ω.

An efficient/sensitive cab will make all the difference (not just 4 ohm).  

• Like 1

I bought a Bassman 50 watt new, in 1966. Even by the standards of the day it was weak, especially in the lows. Not surprising, as it was a re-badged guitar amp. The 'deep' switch didn't make the tone deeper, it just muted the highs. A 30 watt Ampeg B-15 blew it away on all counts. That's when it began to dawn on me that watts don't mean much.

• Like 2