Why become a member? ×

Cab Riser

Guest BassAdder27

Some good ideas here but I went with this...

It's essentially a cross between a flight case and a slip cover. It stops my amp from getting beat up and also elevates it to the optimum working height, doesn't add much to the weight and nothing to onstage footprint. I'm amazed nobody's producing these commercially. I made this myself, as you can probably see, in no more than an afternoon even taking into account my lack of tools and experience.  I don't recall the exact costs involved, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't so much - certainly no more than a Hot Covers or similar

If I were to make another I'd make it slightly bigger so I could line it 6mm foam or similar, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. It's stood up to 3 years or so of gigs without needing any attention, it's a strong as you like and does all the things I intended it to. 

IMG_20220426_173247.jpg

IMG_20220426_173347_1.jpg

IMG_20220426_173518.jpg

IMG_20220426_173239.jpg

• Like 6

On 15/04/2022 at 17:27, JapanAxe said:

No offence Bill but I hate these things with the passion of a thousand burning suns. They’re heavy, awkward to stow, and the rivets eventually fail.

I don’t use any kind of riser with my bass rig, but for my guitar amp I use a decorator’s hop-up sprayed black.

They are horrible. The sworn enemy of the neat pack and laden image.thumb.png.1a0bf3da44ef73573db46a735842ecf4.pngwith fingertraps.

Much better are these Ultimate Support jobs. Strong (within reason) unobtrusive and fold flat properly

No offence Bill but I hate these things with the passion of a thousand burning suns. They’re heavy, awkward to stow, and the rivets eventually fail.

I don’t use any kind of riser with my bass rig, but for my guitar amp I use a decorator’s hop-up sprayed black.

They are horrible. The sworn enemy of the neat pack and laden image.thumb.png.1a0bf3da44ef73573db46a735842ecf4.pngwith fingertraps.

Much better are these Ultimate Support jobs. Strong (within reason) unobtrusive and fold flat properly

On 13/04/2022 at 21:39, PaulThePlug said:

...Was thinking about a Ply or MDF sleeve cover.... slot in the top for the handle... a sort of half case.

Simply take the ply sleeve cover of the combo... place the combo on the ply sleeve cover!...

@shug...Zakly wot i woz on about...

Has the added benefit of not looking much if ya turn ya back for a mo, or left in the back of the mota for a bit...

Good Darts!

Edited by PaulThePlug

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

@shug...Zakly wot i woz on about...

Has the added benefit of not looking much if ya turn ya back for a mo, or left in the back of the mota for a bit...

Good Darts!

Yea, that'd work. The only difficulty being fixing it all together. The beauty of the flightcase fittings is the they make the joins easy to execute. And keep the weight down. Spot on about back-of-car visibility, though

29 minutes ago, shug said:

Some good ideas here but I went with this...

It's essentially a cross between a flight case and a slip cover. It stops my amp from getting beat up and also elevates it to the optimum working height, doesn't add much to the weight and nothing to onstage footprint. I'm amazed nobody's producing these commercially. I made this myself, as you can probably see, in no more than an afternoon even taking into account my lack of tools and experience.  I don't recall the exact costs involved, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't so much - certainly no more than a Hot Covers or similar

If I were to make another I'd make it slightly bigger so I could line it 6mm foam or similar, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. It's stood up to 3 years or so of gigs without needing any attention, it's a strong as you like and does all the things I intended it to. 

IMG_20220426_173247.jpg

IMG_20220426_173347_1.jpg

IMG_20220426_173518.jpg

IMG_20220426_173239.jpg

I made a similar thing for one of my guitar amps, a 5E3 clone. Mine is just glued and nailed 9mm ply but it works a treat.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So a revisit to my solution, amended. Laptop support (amazon, IKEA), with long lip sawn and sanded down to clear Barefaced logo, four pot risers superglued to underside to clear sticky-out cab handle, Amazon non-slip mat on top to which the head sticks reasonably enough.  A strapdown would remove any final doubt whether the head will part company

_72A2732.JPG

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

I used the Ikea laptop stand on my old Markbass Club cabs which have a near 45 degree tilt so I wouldn't worry about anything falling off. A lot of the time the angled cab was stacked on top of the other too, still no movement.

I did put the rubber grip mat on the underside of the stand too so it gripped the cab tolex and dampened vibrations.

• Like 1