Why become a member? ×

Ashdown VU meter

Guest BassAdder27

I’ve been noticing how much more signal my Ashdown VU meter shows on my low E string compared to say the A string

Ive lowered my pickup slightly more ( already angled to match neck radius etc ) and I saw a better result where they appear more matched 

So another great feature on the Ashdown amps makes a useful balancing gauge on strings !!

Will see how much more balanced at rehearsals but at least I can get max input settings without fear of crashing into the red zone too often when playing the E string !

It’s amazing the difference it makes getting the gain set so the VU meter is pushed into the red on the loudest notes. Sure it can be set by ears but having a visual really helps, brings the amp to another level imo.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Waddycall said:

I did hear that VU stands for virtually useless!

I believe on some earlier models the VU didn’t do much

The models today show an accurate display of input signal which used in conjunction with using your ears can set the ideal input gain to the amp.

The low frequency notes on a bass ( I'm talking four string versions tuned at concert pitch ) do generate the biggest movement on Ashdown VU meters whether its a MAG or an ABM. ABM's in particular have a fairly 'hefty' swing to low frequency response and low frequencies do need a lot more power to be heard effectively. At a recent gig, I set my ABM 500 EvoIII to peak on the VU just at around 0db using the E-string. Thats around 45Hz. The result was a stonking thump all night long. Very impressive and the VU isn't just a fad gadget. it does actually perform a useable function. My ABM will grind a bit more if I put the VU into the red but I prefer around the 0db setting. I'm using an external compressor limiter as well on my board so it translates to a very controlled and consistent tone at extremely high power levels thanks to the VU 😁   

• Like 1