Why become a member? ×

Two 5 string projects - ideas?

Joe Nation

So by sheer luck and good vibes, I've managed to score two five string projects for next-to-nothing - a Peavey Grind BXP (thanks Phill) and a Warwick Rockbass Streamer (thanks Joe). The Rockbass body has a massive crack and may be beyond repair, but the neck, electronics and hardware are all good (I'm still awaiting delivery so it'll need further inspection). The Peavey was subject to a slightly dodgy respray by the previous owner and has no electrics, but the body and neck are sound. The Peavey is routed for 2 Jazz pickups and five control pots, the Streamer has soapbars and 3 pots, so I can't easily swap anything between the two to make a complete bass. I currently have a Rockbass Fortress 4, and my first decent bass back in about 2001 was a Peavey Cirrus 4, so both have a certain sentimental appeal.

I'm completely torn about what to do with them both. If I had to pick one it would be the Streamer, but if the body is junk then I don't have the equipment to scratch-build a new one (I could probably do it very slowly and sketchily with hand tools on the patio table!); finding a direct replacement might be tricky without spending quite a few bob. The Peavey is nice but looks a bit too "metal" for my taste - however I've got my eye on a shop-soiled single Fishman Fluence pickup and controls, which I reckon would look and sound pretty cool. For that to work I'd need to either fill in existing routes or plane the body down and put a cap on top - the latter would take more work but would allow for a nice bit of figured wood. I might also do some reshaping of the body to make it a bit more interesting.

OTOH, if the Streamer can be glued up, I'm tempted to put the body cap and Fluence on that instead. In that case I'd paint up the Grind, fit the Streamer's passive electrics and some cheap pickups and sell it on. Or I could keep the standard electrics on the Streamer but make the body nicer - it's the most basic/budget Rockbass model with a carolena (spruce) body, so not nearly as nice as a "proper" Streamer - maybe finished in a nice sonic blue or something.

Anyone care to share any thoughts, ideas, pics or your own builds? I really like the Squier CV 60s Jazz in daphne blue with the red tort scratchplate, but somehow I don't think that look would work on either of these.

Peavey1.jpg

Peavey2.jpg

Streamer1.jpg

Streamer2.jpg

I can't see any reason why you couldn't glue the RB body back together if you've got some sash clamps but if you decide you want to get rid of it then let me know how much you would want for it? 👍🏻 

Thinking about the Grind you could make it look like a modern looking jazz bass by shortening the top horn a but and adding a custom jazz shaped pickguard and either fill some of the pot holes and put a control plate on it or leave it rear routed, I'll try and draw on inkscape what I mean and post a pic later

Edited by Jimothey

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Thinking about the Grind you could make it look like a modern looking jazz bass...

Do we have too few jazzes around, if that Grind has to be returned to that shape? I have to say that the bass makes me think of pushing that shape even further away from basic J.

But of course this is about taste, which is simply personal.

18 minutes ago, itu said:

Do we have too few jazzes around, if that Grind has to be returned to that shape? I have to say that the bass makes me think of pushing that shape even further away from basic J.

But of course this is about taste, which is simply personal.

I only said about making it more jazz like because of the OP stated that he really likes a daphne blue tort pickguard Squier CV 

Personally I'm with you I would definitely go a different route with it..... 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1

Taking it closer to a Jazz did cross my mind, but I felt it wouldn't be jazzy enough (I hate those almost-Jazz copies that change the headstock and body shape just enough to look like something else). It would run the risk of looking like a modern car with chrome and whitewalls.

image.png.b4b7a15e601123ebe808453d68246516.png

I've always loved the Explorer shape, but I think I'd have to add so much wood to make that work (even reverso, Adam Clayton style) that I'd be better off making a new body.

• Like 1

Couple of technical questions: if I were to plane the body down and add a 6mm top, would this be about the right thickness to attach the pots or would I need to adjust the thickness (only where the pots mount)? Guess it depends on the pots and how much thread they have.

More importantly, can anyone direct me to a good how-to guide for finishing a quilted top? The type where you stain it black, sand back then put the colour on. I want a look something like these:

image.thumb.png.feba5f33355ed0aa5bd8c570c36a8c96.pngimage.png.ffb39816b2c4fa7d27511003e7620cc2.png

TIA.

Edited by Joe Nation
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2022 at 10:06, Joe Nation said:

Couple of technical questions: if I were to plane the body down and add a 6mm top, would this be about the right thickness to attach the pots or would I need to adjust the thickness (only where the pots mount)? Guess it depends on the pots and how much thread they have.

If you go onto Axesrus (whether or not you want to buy from them) for, say, the CTS pots, they have a tab marked 'Technical Specs' with a photo of the pots with the essential measurements.  You need enough chamber depth (and remember the cover) for the bottom of the thread  to the bottom of the pot to fit and enough thread depth (CTS do 3 different lengths) to allow a spring washer, plain washer and nut.  If the thread is going to protrude around 3mm from the top, that should be enough for the plain washer and nut.  Much less and you may have difficulty getting the nut on, much more and your knobs will sit slightly high (depending on the knobs).

If you are planning any push/pull pots, and/or blend pots then these are much deeper - again, the Axesrus site has dimensions. 

On 05/04/2022 at 10:06, Joe Nation said:

More importantly, can anyone direct me to a good how-to guide for finishing a quilted top? The type where you stain it black, sand back then put the colour on. I want a look something like these

I'm sure someone will come in on this.  Just a point, though: the blue one has not had any black put on to exaggerate the quilt - it's just application of the blue stain, sand, reapply stain, etc - the stain absorbs progressively more into the end grain part of the figuring and so darkens.  The red example has probably had black applied (same general process but the initial stain/sand uses black stain and then the final coats are the coloured stain) as you suggest.  Depends what look you are after.

Edited by Andyjr1515

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2022 at 17:12, Andyjr1515 said:

If you go onto Axesrus (whether or not you want to buy from them) for, say, the CTS pots, they have a tab marked 'Technical Specs' with a photo of the pots with the essential measurements.  You need enough chamber depth (and remember the cover) for the bottom of the thread  to the bottom of the pot to fit and enough thread depth (CTS do 3 different lengths) to allow a spring washer, plain washer and nut.  If the thread is going to protrude around 3mm from the top, that should be enough for the plain washer and nut.  Much less and you may have difficulty getting the nut on, much more and your knobs will sit slightly high (depending on the knobs).

If you are planning any push/pull pots, and/or blend pots then these are much deeper - again, the Axesrus site has dimensions. 

I'm sure someone will come in on this.  Just a point, though: the blue one has not had any black put on to exaggerate the quilt - it's just application of the blue stain, sand, reapply stain, etc - the stain absorbs progressively more into the end grain part of the figuring and so darkens.  The red example has probably had black applied (same general process but the initial stain/sand uses black stain and then the final coats are the coloured stain) as you suggest.  Depends what look you are after.

I've not done any finishing,  but there's loads of videos on Crimson Guitars channel, and they sell some lovely coloured stains too... I watch the videos for relaxation