Why become a member? ×

Well, that's me happy as Larry ...

Golchen

Last summer I decided to get another bass. Had cash in hand but just couldn't come up with the right thing. Looked at the for sale forum here EVERY day (it was my log-on page!) trawled all over eBay, visited many shops etc but just couldn't find what I was looking for - not helped by the fact that I didn't know what I was looking for!

Anyway, a short while ago I really fell for the idea of a Fender Jazz 5 string, and have totally put all effort into acquiring one. Finally struck lucky on eBay and got a Reggie Hamilton custom shop V in immaculate condition for half what you would pay for a new one from Thomann. I totally love this bass! I am so unworthy of such a fine instrument but b*llox to that it's now MINE!!!!!

Boy am I in a good mood these days. Got a new number one guitar as well this year.

Edit: a couple of pix

[attachment=23760:IMG_2463.JPG][attachment=23761:IMG_2465.JPG]

Edited by Golchen

There are two commonly repeated contenders for the derivation "Happay as Larry".

One is that it refers to the Australian boxer Larry Foley (1847 - 1917). Foley was a successful boxer who never lost a fight. He retired at 32 and collected a purse of £1,000 for his final fight. So, we can expect that he was known to be happy with his lot in the 1870s - just when the phrase is first cited.

The alternative explanation is that it relates to the Cornish and later Australian/New Zealand slang term 'larrikin', meaning a rough type or hooligan, i.e. one predisposed to larking about.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='461928' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:26 AM']How does it compare the meerkat dot com to your Status?[/quote]

Well, I'm still a sad old bedroom player, so within that context:

The status has never quite felt like 'the one' to me. It's very heavy and I do sometimes get back problems. Never liked the look of the Paduak finish, and I felt that I wanted something a bit more 'organic' (eg wooden neck!). On the plus side with the Status, I love the tone generally, although I couldn't quite find the 'mellow' sound that I wanted. The neck is amazing all over though.

To be honest, I've 'put the status away' for now, partly because of new bass syndrome, and partly because I want to get totally immersed in playing the Fender. I have found personally that basses are a bit different than other instruments to me in that I 'mould' myself to the one that I play most, whereas other instruments I can just tell that I like one better than another. Case in point: when I got the Status I found it much harder to play than my Hohner jack, but now it is much easier!?!.

The Fender came with a pretty weird setup. Heavy strings (not to my taste), quite a bit of neck bow and the strings a mile off the fretboard. After a good setup and change of strings it felt amazing! I love everything about it so far, especially the passive/active switch. The active is great for slappin' around and the passive is ideal for the more mellow tones that I was after. If there's one thing I miss from the Status: Playing along to a particular piece, I do this horribly indulgent tapping thing with two right hand fingers and one from my left hand. It works well with the Status, but not great with the Fender. Dodgy ground for bass playing anyway!

At the moment the Jazz bass feels like 'the one'.

[quote name='Golchen' post='459820' date='Apr 11 2009, 09:54 AM']Boy am I in a good mood these days. Got a new number one guitar as well this year.

[attachment=23760:IMG_2463.JPG][attachment=23761:IMG_2465.JPG][/quote]
I'm not suprised; it looks really nice! A much wider looking neck than the standard Jazz 5 by the looks of it...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='466362' date='Apr 18 2009, 08:23 PM']I'm not suprised; it looks really nice! A much wider looking neck than the standard Jazz 5 by the looks of it...[/quote]

Don't know about that? I went all over the place trying to find a jazz 5 to try out but couldn't find one anywhere in london or within about 30 miles of Luton. All I know is that it feels perfect to me, it's pretty much the same as my other 5 stringers.