Why become a member? ×

Buying a head....argh!

skarate

Okay, so after playing the odd gig over the last year and borrowing or hiring heads where I can, it's getting to a slightly busier point so I think it's about time I actually invested some cash into buying an amp (just going for a head for now).

[url="http://www.myspace.com/keepingscores"]this is what my band sounds like[/url] the bass sound on there isn't quite what I'm going for live (on the demo I was just going through a DI, so it's mostly from effects during the mixing) probably a sound somewhere inbetween the first and third songs, so bassy, but still enough treble coming through to get good definition on the notes.

Currently playing a mexican jazz bass (which might get a pickup change somewhere down the line, but not this year at least).

Any suggestions? Not really looking to spend more than £5-600. [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ampeg---SVT-450H~ID~4382.asp"]this[/url] any good for the money? Popping down to Brighton to have a play with stuff in GAK tomorrow, but wanted an idea of what I should be keeping an eye out for.

[quote name='umph' post='459284' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:54 PM']you might want to look into hatke or something else along those lines aswell[/quote]
Indeed. I can thoroughly recommend the LH series. Less [knobs] is more. If there is something you really want to try at GAK, it wouldn't do any harm to ring them the day before you go to make sure it is in the store and not just in the warehouse. They can normally get it there for the next day.

[quote name='Hamster' post='459226' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:52 PM']What cabs are you using and how much power do you want?[/quote]

Currently cab-less, going to get on that at a later date, luckily still at the stage where cab sharing is possible/playing places with some degree of backline. As far as power goes....not really sure yet.

[quote name='chris_b' post='459241' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:08 PM']How about an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro? A good used one might worth checking out. What transport and cab(s) do you have?[/quote]

As I said, no cab, that likely to make an easier or harder decision? Transport is a fumn point too, although I've got a car, which is great for out of town stuff, mostly end up carting stuff about on the tube to various parts of London. So weight/lugability is a slight problem, but not one that I'd want to comprimise with sound really.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='459278' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:48 PM']The bass sound on that first track is ace. +1 for a used Ampeg if that's your bag - you'd get far more for your money.[/quote]

Cheers, it's not [i]quite[/i] what I'm wanting though, a bit beefier, but it's getting along the right lines. I've been browsing at used for a bit, but it's a case of finding one in the right part of the country, wondering how long I might end up waiting for the right one to come along.

[quote name='umph' post='459284' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:54 PM']you might want to look into hatke or something else along those lines aswell[/quote]

Had a look at those, pretty interested to see how they sound

[quote name='skarate' post='459404' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:21 PM']Transport is a fumn point too, although I've got a car, which is great for out of town stuff, mostly end up carting stuff about on the tube to various parts of London. So weight/lugability is a slight problem, but not one that I'd want to comprimise with sound really.[/quote]

If you're taking it on the tube, you'd want to keep it at under 15lbs I think. Forget the Ampeg.

Either one of the new micro heads from Genz Benz, Eden or Gallien-Krueger, or a normal sized but lightweight head.

The Eden would be completely wrong for you tonewise but the GB or GK might work out for you. They should both sound quite beefy.

No bigger full-on bass sound than a Trace MkV.
There is one in for sale for £300 with a set of drivers.
Buy it and I'll take the speakers!

Or an AH250 head. From the days when Trace defined British bass.
Blows an Ashdown 500 away. These are around for sub-£300.

Thing to note: my tech was inside an Ashdown mini head today. Cracks in circuit board from board mounted heat sink = bounce/flex/split. Basic design flaw - and you'll see it in other models and by other makers. GUARANTEED future breakdown and repair costs. GUARANTEED. Beware.

Edited by Thornybank

Well, an interesting day. Gave the Hartke HA2500 a try out and got exactly the sound I was looking for, with more than enough room for tone manoeuvring too. Anyone had any experiences with it? Seems really good for the price, only thing I didn't really test out was how good it was with loudness. Likely to be alright against a couple of 50 Watt guitar amps? The 3500 isn't a massive amount more expensive, but that's just a little excessive isn't it?....