Why become a member? ×

Squier P bass twisted neck!

Jimothey

I got given a 2000 Indonesian Squier P bass today thats definitely seen better days 

_20220306_190246.thumb.JPG.01d94547d55c2226931fa653ae019661.JPG

One of the problems with it is you can feel one side of the skunk stripe on the neck from the heel to about the 12th fret I've checked it and it doesn't look warped or twisted so I was thinking of just sanding it back smooth and refinish the neck or would it be best to try and glue it back? 

Also it's probably got the most convincing Fender logos I've ever seen 

_20220306_190221.thumb.JPG.b596c226ef03f150b30683359a1f4131.JPG

Another thing is I couldn't get over how heavy it is (its easily the heaviest bass I've got!) I've tried to find out what the body is made out of but I couldn't find anything, I looked in the cavity and it doesn't look like its ply don't suppose anyone knows what it might be?? 

Edited by Jimothey

I’d sand the skunk stripe back - had exactly the same issue with Leigh Gordon’s early Mex p bass. It never moved or got worse 

id guess at basswood for cheapness, post a pic maybe ? Might be some clues in the routings 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’d sand the skunk stripe back - had exactly the same issue with Leigh Gordon’s early Mex p bass. It never moved or got worse 

id guess at basswood for cheapness, post a pic maybe ? Might be some clues in the routings 

I did take the pickguard off and had a look but it's all black but I'm going to strip it apart tomorrow so I'll have a better look but because of the weight of it, it feels too heavy to be basswood or just any basswood bodies I've ever had anyway.....👍🏻 

I took the neck and tuners off and layed it flat on the table the neck is properly twisted, if you look down the neck (from the heel) it twists about 5mm clockwise! According to quite a few videos on youtube thats the best way for it to twist as you can still have a playable guitar? 

I think the first job will be restring it and try and get the action as low as possible then check all the notes down the neck to see if it buzzes or chokes any notes? If it doesn't then I can just leave it but if t does then it looks like I've got 2 choices? 

1. Take the fretboard off plane the neck flat to take the twist out and refit the fretboard? 

2. Throw the neck away!

Does anyone else have any other ideas?........ 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

• Jimothey changed the title to Squier P bass twisted neck!
4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I took the neck and tuners off and layed it flat on the table the neck is properly twisted, if you look down the neck (from the heel) it twists about 5mm clockwise! According to quite a few videos on youtube thats the best way for it to twist as you can still have a playable guitar? 

I think the first job will be restring it and try and get the action as low as possible then check all the notes down the neck to see if it buzzes or chokes any notes? If it doesn't then I can just leave it but if t does then it looks like I've got 2 choices? 

1. Take the fretboard off plane the neck flat to take the twist out and refit the fretboard? 

2. Throw the neck away!

Does anyone else have any other ideas?........ 👍🏻 

Leaning towards option 2 here.  Buy a replacement neck - second hand shouldn't be too much outlay.  Your time has value - what do you get out of this by trying to do it yourself?  Even if you did manage to sort it out, wouldn't the amount of time and effort involved make it a pyrrhic victory at best?

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Leaning towards option 2 here.  Buy a replacement neck - second hand shouldn't be too much outlay.  Your time has value - what do you get out of this by trying to do it yourself?  Even if you did manage to sort it out, wouldn't the amount of time and effort involved make it a pyrrhic victory at best?

Yeah your right!

I've kind of gone with option 2, I've stripped the fretboard off it as thats still in good condition and I've started making a replacement oak neck that I'm going to use on another build with any other parts I can salvage

The body is in half decent knick so I'm probably just going to sell it on....... 👍🏻