Why become a member? ×

Musicguard insurance - anyone else using them?

bassbiscuits

Just after a bit of advice from the collective  BC pool of wisdom really. 

I’ve insured my kit with these guys for many years, and it’s due for renewal.

Surprised to find they don’t hold a detailed schedule of what I’ve got insured with them ( no descriptions or serial numbers etc) - just general totals for PA, instruments, amps etc.

I don’t know what’s currently insured with them or not, so can’t tell them if it’s correct.

They said if I needed to claim I’d have to provide a receipt for the item - I don’t know about you, but I don’t have receipts for instruments I bought 10 or 20 years ago.

Without that, I’m struggling to see the point.

So my questions are: 

1.  Is this approach typical? 

2. Are there any other insurance companies people would recommend? 

I looked at MU insurance but I’m not a MU member.

Any thoughts - fire away!

Edited by bassbiscuits

I used them ages ago but switched to New Moon for their much more flexible cover, and they're always happy to receive an updated equipment list from me (they may make paper aeroplanes out of it for all I know)

For proof of ownership in event of a claim, a previous conversation was that receipts are best, photographic proof (with you in picture if possible) even better.

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 1

I used to use Allianz. They are very reliable except (and this a biggie) they don't cover electrical failure.

I've personally never made a claim, but I know people who have, and there was no receipts nonsense.

It's been a while since I've been covered, but I seem to remember they cover newly bought instruments even before you've updated your cover, up to 30 days from purchase.

• Like 1