Why become a member? ×

OTB 1000 into Super Compact

dave74200

Hi all,

I've bought a Terror Bass 1000 as I thought the headroom would be nice. After looking at my cab (Barefaced Super Compact), it says 600 watts rms. Am I right in thinking that as the amp runs at 500 watts 8 ohms, all is good in the hood? I hope so or I've dropped a right clanger!! Thanks for any advice.

It will be fine. You don't have to run an amp that puts out exactly the rated power of a cab. A decent cab (which you have) will tolerate occasional short term peaks that are over its rated input power. The usual rule applies - if it makes nasty noises, turn down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/02/2022 at 22:08, dave74200 said:

Hi all,

I've bought a Terror Bass 1000 as I thought the headroom would be nice. After looking at my cab (Barefaced Super Compact), it says 600 watts rms. Am I right in thinking that as the amp runs at 500 watts 8 ohms, all is good in the hood? I hope so or I've dropped a right clanger!! Thanks for any advice.

Think those run at 1000w all the time, but as said it’ll be fine and you won’t be able to get that amp loud enough with that efficient cab to do any damage 

28 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

you won’t be able to get that amp loud enough with that efficient cab to do any damage 

BF cabs aren't efficient power users. They do use a lot of power to get low and cause enough loudness to cause plenty of hearing damage though. Lesser cabs will widdle all over a BF Compact with only 100w going in. That is the definition of efficiency.

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

BF cabs aren't efficient power users. They do use a lot of power to get low and cause enough loudness to cause plenty of hearing damage though. Lesser cabs will widdle all over a BF Compact with only 100w going in. That is the definition of efficiency.

Really I thought they were super efficient! Who knew 

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

They are actually quite decent in terms of efficiency. Lesser cabs may make more noise with 100w, but they won't go as loud or as low, the quality of sound will be lacking in comparison and they will blow up when something like a Super Compact is just hitting its stride. And who uses 100w bass amps these days for serious playing?

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

Loads of Ashdown 50 and 100w heads in use. Ampeg reissued theirs.

If by efficiency you mean get the job done with less to haul then BF is right up there.

That is not the definition.

By efficiency, I (and I assume most others) mean amount of output for a given input power - the figure you see quoted by cab manufacturers (reputable ones, at any rate) that says, for example, 95db for 1W @ 1 metre at 1khz. It's self-explanatory.

There may be a lot of 50 and 100w heads in use, but many are practice/starter amps. 200w is about the minimum one would need to compete with, say, a couple of guitars, keys and drums in a reasonably sized space. Wine bar jazz and acoustic ensemble gigs will likely be an exception, although a lot of jazzers use small powerful combos from the likes of PJB, Acoustic Image, AER and similar.

Not the definition of what?