Why become a member? ×

Compact combo/head without fan ...... or very low fan noise at low volume levels.

evan47

I am thinking of treating myself to a new bass combo/compact head and speaker this year and, as it will be for mainly low volume home use (plus possibly some band work) I would like it to  be fan less, or with a very quiet fan.

The budget is £1000 but I could possibly stretch a little further.

I would be buying new as I would like a warranty for peace of mind.

The PJB BG400 and Bass Cub pro are two of the combos I am thinking of and for head/speaker the Genzler Magellan 350 bass array 10-2 looks tempting.

What else on the UK market should I be looking at?

This will be the last amp I intend to buy and do not want to make an expensive mistake.

I have an Aguilar AG700 and the fan is quiet enough. It can't be heard over normal living room playing volume. If you're looking at compact/class D heads that are powerful enough to gig, virtually all will have a fan because there isn't enough space in the box for air to cool them via convection alone. A PJB BG400 will really only be loud enough for small gigs unless you add an additional C4 cab. Bass Cub definitely only suitable for jazz/wine bar type gigs.

I'm not knocking PJB. Quote the opposite. I like and own PJB cabs. However, you do need a few of them to make a noise. I run two C4s for small to medium volume gigs and add one or two 4Bs plus a power amp for louder situations.

Please don't buy on recommendation or reviews alone. Go to a decent shop and try stuff at "real world" volumes.

Edited by Dan Dare

Obviously personal tolerance but I have the Magellan 350 and the fan is barely noticeable in my small practice room. Also like the way it mounts to the BA10-2 cab. It’s eliminated my Amp GAS although complete overkill for my needs. 

I’ve previously had an Ashdown RM800 which was also quiet, Markbass CMD121P which was slightly louder and a TE Elf which was too loud.