Why become a member? ×

Moon/Warmoth Jazz Bass
£750
Leek, Staffordshire

umcoo

Hi all,

Having a clear out of some things I don't use that often, so up next is a Moon/Warmoth jazz bass.  

I picked up the fully-loaded body and tuners last year, and decided to go with a birdseye maple/ebony neck from Warmoth.  It also has 'Arizona Blue' dot markers, which look great.  Tele-bass headstock, as opposed to the usual J/P headstock.

The body is late-70's I think and has original Tom Anderson/Schecter high-output single coils.  The neck pickup needed a rewind which was completed by Armstrong pickups last year.  They don't have a pickup cover, as was their style at the time.  Body wood is Walnut and looks darker in real life than it does on the pictures.  Due to its age, it's not in perfect condition, with a couple of smaller dings.  It's very comfortable to play and balances nicely.  Weight on the scales is 4.46kg or 9.8lbs.

Controls are VVT.  The tone put is push/pull which brings the bridge pickup out of phase.  Not hugely different tones, and I think it could be wired for series/parallel if so desired.  The switch is a 3-way pickup selector - neck, both or bridge.

The neck is in perfect condition and looks and feels amazing.  Warmoth quality is right up there with the best.  Truss rod turns with no problems, as you would expect from a brand new neck.  Comes with a brass nut.

I had this put together for me by Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester back in the summer, but I need to thin the amount of basses I have, so it's up for sale.

Price is £750.  I'm not looking for any trades thanks.  I am happy to ship, but will need to charge extra and can get a price for you based on where you are.

Alternatively, collection from just outside Leek in North Staffs is preferable, or can meet somewhere reasonable for some petrol money.

Thanks all, happy to answer any questions, or take additional photos.

0FxCwfB.jpg

1vQtenj.jpg

7yQyECe.jpg

8kze9aY.jpg

cIo1XIX.jpg

HYH29Dh.jpg

IiWFf0Y.jpg

ikTkjLf.jpg

jGh3f66.jpg

KabwLqt.jpg

KrVby35.jpg

POcRAad.jpg

uiR3JWT.jpg

Y8HYNDn.jpg

YEP2tk7.jpg

ZxB6Mfj.jpg

Edited by umcoo
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Kev said:

Not familiar with Moon too much, but if they're the original pickups as presented back then, why were they routed for covers?

That neck looks sublime!

I think they've been going since the 70's. Made in Japan and not hugely common over here. Larry Graham is probably their most famous artist. He used an all white jazz back in the day.

They offered a range of pickups, so I assume it's for ease of just dropping different ones in. The base of the bobbins on these pickups are the same outline shape as a pickup cover, so they sit kind of flat against the bottom of the cavity...if that makes sense! 

There's an old catalogue here which has them in. They were referred to as 'jaggy' pickups, but are basically Schecters/Tom Anderson pickups. 

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/moon/1985/sp_en_09.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 13:01, Kev said:

Not familiar with Moon too much, but if they're the original pickups as presented back then, why were they routed for covers?

That neck looks sublime!

Schecter Monstertone are designed like that on the top, full size baseplate- really desirable pickups too - I want to try them sometime 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Schecter Monstertone are designed like that on the top, full size baseplate- really desirable pickups too - I want to try them sometime 

I'm pretty sure these are late 70's Monstertones. There was some kind of collaboration around that time between Schecter, ESP and I guess Moon. Hard to find details though.

I'm obsessed with Schecter pickups. I've got about 3 or 4 sets of old Schecter pickups from this period.  They sound great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...