Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR 750 active circuit problem with the ‘mid’ control

mybass

I’m not getting any response from the mid control on this bass, either boost or cut but the bass and treble work okay. A new battery was installed. Taking off the cover plate revealed more wiring than I’ve ever seen in any bass and I’ve wired a few active circuits over the years. When I pressed down on the wiring the signal was interrupted but before ‘getting in there’ I’m wondering if anyone has had similar problems that they’ve been able to rectify. I’ve messaged Ibanez/ Headstock U.K. but no response yet. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Not very helpful but I wouldn't go poking about without a wiring diagram might be worth checking the solder joints on the main board they can be a problem 

Thanks and yes, I’m not looking forward to even pulling the main board out as it appears to be all one lump of connections. I must say ‘we are not amused’ by Ibanez’s wiring!

Yes, ibanez wiring can seem a bit excessive as they have one wire per every connection, so 3 for each of the volume, bass, treble, mid, power and jack, normally in one strip along the side in quite a large connector. So when you say the mid is not working, does it sound like it is just flat or cut or boosted?

Not had too much trouble with ibanez boards and the wiring is normally robust (or maybe over robust), but worth checking out the cables. The wiring diagram for the generic 3 band EQ is somewhere on one of the ibanez threads on here. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, ibanez wiring can seem a bit excessive as they have one wire per every connection, so 3 for each of the volume, bass, treble, mid, power and jack, normally in one strip along the side in quite a large connector. So when you say the mid is not working, does it sound like it is just flat or cut or boosted?

Not had too much trouble with ibanez boards and the wiring is normally robust (or maybe over robust), but worth checking out the cables. The wiring diagram for the generic 3 band EQ is somewhere on one of the ibanez threads on here. 

Very good advice I've done a few ibanez repairs and it's either been a dry joint on the board or a knackered pot but I reckon your pot should be OK as they generally just don't die without prior symptoms 

• Like 1

Thanks Woodinblack and Tbird……I’ve yet to get around to opening up the wiring but hopefully it will be repairable on the main board….

Also, the mid doesn’t sound flat or boosted and there is no difference in mid, turned to full mid or full ‘off’ so perhaps the mid signal isn’t getting routed to that pot.

7 hours ago, mybass said:

Thanks Woodinblack and Tbird……I’ve yet to get around to opening up the wiring but hopefully it will be repairable on the main board….

Also, the mid doesn’t sound flat or boosted and there is no difference in mid, turned to full mid or full ‘off’ so perhaps the mid signal isn’t getting routed to that pot.

Maybe the pot is shot I hope you can sort it out mate 

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2021 at 08:31, Thunderbird said:

Maybe the pot is shot I hope you can sort it out mate 

I wondered if the ‘pot was shot’ but as the signal got through whether the pot was central, full on or full off, I think it’s more a case of checking if the ‘send’ wire is not connected off the board. There is sooo much wiring in there it could be a few things wrong! 

8 minutes ago, mybass said:

I wondered if the ‘pot was shot’ but as the signal got through whether the pot was central, full on or full off, I think it’s more a case of checking if the ‘send’ wire is not connected off the board. There is sooo much wiring in there it could be a few things wrong! 

Might be worth a pre amp upgrade :)

13 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Might be worth a pre amp upgrade :)

Yes, I’ve thought about that though the Ibanez one is pretty good on the working bass and treble sides, the bass is a little too much but that’s when full on….cheers

• Like 1