Why become a member? ×

Esh Custom 6 String - sold pending usual :)

molan

This is a really interesting bass up for trade with a little history behind it :)

Originally built for Portugeuse player Theo Pas'cal and with his signature inlaid. If you look at his MySpace page you can see a YouTube video of him playing this very bass [url="http://www.myspace.com/theopascal"]http://www.myspace.com/theopascal[/url]

He had it built to his specification by Esh in Germany when he had a sponsorship deal with them. This is his actual bass, not a signature copy so would have been worked on to a very high standard. If you're not familiar with Esh basses this is their site [url="http://esh-bass.com/component/option...mid,1/lang,en/"]http://esh-bass.com/component/option...mid,1/lang,en/[/url]

I'm not sure what the woods are but the grain is really nice and it's been beautifully built. It has a set of really nice Kent Armstrong pickups, a very funky bridge, and the "Esh-tronics" pickup switching system instead of conventional tone controls.

There are controls for volume, tone (No separate treble and bass controls) and one pot with four detents for: bridge Pickup only; parallel, bridge with mid-boost; and, series.

The fourth control pot also has four detents: studio (which bypasses volume and tone and is a direct signal from the pickups); passive; passive with piezo; and active with piezo. The piezo is adjustable from inside the cavity.

There are 16 possible variations and once you get used to them it's fairly easy to change quickly between them. My personal favourite is the studio setting which is so clear & precise. Slappers would love the bridge with midboost / active options.

It's very nicely balanced, the neck is comfortable and fairly shallow, much easier to play than any other 6 string I've tried.

The only issue with the bass is that it had some headstock damage which has been professionally repaired. Personally, this has never bothered me, and others who have seen the bass haven't even noticed it! The neck volute and rest of the neck is perfect and the only damage was to the top of the headstock.

It's quite an inspiring bass to play but I'm no Theo! Only reason for selling is that I've settled on 5 strings and never use the high C on this so it seems a bit of a waste to leave it sitting around not being played much.

I checked with Esh recently and they reckoned it would cost something around 5,000 Euros to re-bulid a bass to this spec!

Happy to ship anywhere really :rolleyes:

Edited by molan

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='455016' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:30 PM']Half of all BC Rich basses :) Does Lorne know? ;)

Lovely Esh, if I could I would :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'd love to see Rich with Zombie or a Warlock trying to nail some intricate jazz :lol:

The Esh really is quite special & the workmanship is excellent. The neck is especially nice & the electronics are genuinely innovative.

I have to admit I was suprised when I contacted Esh for a valuation on it a couple of months back & they quoted the 5,000 Eu figure (I was guessing maybe 2,000 or so) but it's certainly a very high spec piece of kit :D

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='455034' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:43 PM']Yup that's the one. I bought it from tayste_2000 last year but it's been usurped by macdaddy's carvin. Cheers, John[/quote]

That is rather nice - I was looking for a straight sale for a change but I've quite fancied a Valenti for a while & he seems a really nice guy :)

Can you let me know what the string spacing is at the bridge?

I'm really getting into narrow spacing at the moment!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='455016' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:30 PM']Half of all BC Rich basses :) Does Lorne know? :D

Lovely Esh, if I could I would :rolleyes:[/quote]

Lol,I know a few he hasn't played ;)

BTW,I used to play a B.C.Rich Bich 8 string in a Jazz band :lol:

[quote name='molan' post='456643' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:06 PM']Some interest but nothing concrete so this is still available :)[/quote]
I can't believe this is still here??? I'm not a 6 string player, but this is really something special for the money... Good luck with the sale!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='456887' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:11 PM']I can't believe this is still here??? I'm not a 6 string player, but this is really something special for the money... Good luck with the sale![/quote]

I genuinely believe this is worth a lot more than I'm selling it for. However this is the price I bought it for on here so didn't want to look like a 'profiteer', lol.

Next stage is EBay with an option to ship overseas - I reckon a listing on German Ebay might be a good idea!

[quote name='molan' post='455044' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:50 PM']I'm really getting into narrow spacing at the moment![/quote]
If you are into narrow string spacing, and you manage to sell the Esh, how does this grab you? It's 15-16mm at the bridge and plays like a dream.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='458960' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:16 AM']If you are into narrow string spacing, and you manage to sell the Esh, how does this grab you? It's 15-16mm at the bridge and plays like a dream.
[/quote]

looks like a Lag to me?