Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM600 340HZ

Guest BassAdder27

We have often mentioned how great a scooped sound is when at home but gets lost in the context of band playing. 
well … 

I tried running my ABM600 with Shape button IN ( flat ) and then gradually pulled down the 340HZ slider

This gives a really nice tone removing the honk yet leaving the other mid frequencies alone. 
Anyone else discover that ? 
Seems to create a deeper tone yet punchy and articulate 

So many tones you can get from this amp 

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

On the ABM600 the Shape button IN is a flat setting 

OUT = scooped 

Yep it works back to front oddly. 

In a band setting I used to engage the scoop but with the amp eq add on a load of mids and drop some deep lows. That worked really well for me - massive booty but you didn't disappear into the mud 

Edited by Mudpup

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

Yep it works back to front oddly. 

In a band setting I used to engage the scoop but with the amp eq add on a load of mods and drop some lows. That worked really well for me - massive booty but you didn't disappear into the mud 

That’s what I do, it seems to give me more of what I want than leaving the shape off and dropping the mids.

• Like 1

Think I read that the inverse scoop of our ears sensitivity to sound (google ‘Fletcher Munson curve’) changes as sound gets louder.

It gets flatter, which means that we tend to like a scooped Eq at low volume but need it flatter at high volume to achieve the same perceived sound. 
There’s more to it than that, in terms of a band mix etc, but in terms of a soloed bass track this does make sense of why we like scoop in the house, flat on stage.

I’ve also recently found that it’s better to create the Ashdown Scoop sound by not using the Shape OUT ( on ) as the amp is pushing a lot of power through the low end.

Its better with Shape IN ( off ) and pulling down the 340hz slider 

Increase the bass to taste etc 

This gives you far more EQ control over 9 bands and easier to EQ the room to prevent a boomy sound

And as you said it gets / needs to be less bassy as we increase the volume 

Naturally all this with adjustments to the input gain to stay out of the red