Why become a member? ×

First render of My Singlecut design W.I.P

Skywalker83

So, i'm wanting my own custom made singlecut bass made this year. So today i sat down and scanned my drawing into photoshop and started the process of making a render to get a better idea of what the beast might look like once made.

The spec so far:

5 string E-C (although this may go up to a 6 string, aint decided yet!)
33" scale, 24 frets
Buckeye burl top and headstock and pick up covers (this may change to Flamed maple)
Alder and walnut body (pos. chambered)
Bolt-On wenge neck and fingerboard
Custom M.O.P bass clef Inlays @ 12th and 5th frets
Ebony Ramp with M.O.P Bass Clef inlay.

Aguilar OPB 3 preamp
Hipshot single string bridges (Gold)
Hipshout tuners (gold)
Pickups - not sure yet pos. Bartolini or Nortstrands

[url="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3410060732_e888c9b699_b.jpg"]W.I.P render[/url]

Let me know what you think!
Suggestions , comments and crit all welcome!

Edited by Skywalker83

Looks nice, who are you thinking of having it built by, it looks like a Shuker but with a longer bottom horn!

I really don't like the bass-clef inlays and ramp decal, way too (IMO) geeky and obvious for my liking! And realistically I don't think that headstock is big enough for 4 tuners, let alone 5 or 6 lol

But all these things start a little rough around the edges, if it gets made, it will no doubt be a monster!

Keep us informed :)

Si

Thanks for the crits, will make some ammendments tomorrow if i get time.

I'm not sure about which luthier to have build it yet, i really like the work of the french luthier Laurent Kah.
But it will mostly come down to which good luthier will offer me the best price.

I'm really thinking of changing the buckeye to flamed maple, i think the wenge nech/fingerboard looks better (IMO) with the flamed maple. Buckeye looks better with a maple fingerboard.

Looks good , great to see someone doing their own design and don't be influenced by others do it as you want it with as many bass clefs as you like...

I've been doing some single cut design drawings and like yours they all turn out looking like a sperm whale... :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='453859' date='Apr 4 2009, 08:57 AM']I think that you only need one bass clef - at the 12th fret. Three is overkill and dilutes the idea.[/quote]

+1

oh, and i also think either all gold hardware or all chrome, the chrome bridge and gold knobs look a bit wierd to me.

and i'd say buckeye burl rather than flamed maple.

obviously its what you think is best though, if you like 3 bass clefs, go for 3 bass clefs.

[quote]Remember that when the bass is on the stand the bass clefs look like sad faces :)[/quote]

Glad somone else noticed that, cool idea but maybe the clefs need a little reworking, different font/typeface etc. Not a designer so cant offer much advice.